Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 31-08-2013, 10:32 PM

Default 3 weeks post op

Hello Everyone,

My name is Ellie & I'm 17 years old, and have just had my Kyphosis and Scoliosis corrected. I thought I would share my story for people who are curious about the operation etc. Unfortunately I can't remember what the degrees for the kyphosis and Scoliosis were originally, but i'm finding out at my post op visit.

On the 14th of August I had my spine fused from T2-L2. My basic time in hospital was around 9 days due to me not progressing as quick as i should have been. Anyway from what I have been told my surgery was 'routine' however I did suffer have some blood loss but nothing too serious.
I was placed in ICU for 24 hours after the operation and I can't remember much besides being tangled up in IV drips & having hot packs on my arms because my veins wouldn't pop.
After my 24 hours in ICU I was placed in the ward where I would stay until sitting and walking was able to be done with out that much help.

The one thing the doctors lacked to mention was all the pills they put you on, not just the pain medication but the pills to make your bowels move because of the pain medication, expect a not so fun time with all the meds. &my advice for all the medication is DON'T ask for them to be all syrups when they are in your stomach together it makes you feel very sick. Stick to pills as much as you can, they do get annoying but it makes you feel so much better!!

Besides the medication pickle my stay in hospital was pretty good, by the second day physio started( ) which is very hard at first! On the second day you are made to sit up for as long as you can, it is very painful so make sure you use your PCA before the physio comes!! After the first sit it gets easier, they make you sit up in bed and watch tv just to make sure you are breathing right etc. By day 3 I was made to stand for a few seconds which wasn't as bad as sitting but i didn't survive long standing because i was half asleep & wobbly. After around day 5 I was walking around the ward, still wobbly but i was walking well.
The rest of my 'rehab' time was spent doing things like sitting in a spinal chair for long periods of time, walking without holding someones hand & learning how to sit on a toilet because all the toilets were low and the hospital wouldn't give me a toilet chair..

I am now at home and have been for the last week & things are going pretty good. I did find that when I got home everything wasn't how it used to be, it was either too low or I just couldn't use it. However now I have a spinal chair at home so I can sit with the family and have dinner & watch tv etc. I'm finding as each day goes it's getting easier to do things, over the past couple of days I've started to be more independent with moving things, showering(FINALLY) & just starting to be my old self.

All and all I know it's going to be hard & that has been obvious but the main thing is to take everyday as it comes and don't let the little things get you down.

Thanks for reading, if anyone has any questions or anything message me

Ellie
Old 02-09-2013, 03:58 PM

Default Re: 3 weeks post op

Thank you Ellie. I found this post very informativeand it was good to hear the patients perspective on pain etc.
My daughter is scheduled to have her spinal fusion operation in October, so you have given us some good tips.
I hope you continue to recover quickly .
Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 PM

I'm glad it helped. Before my operation I found it very hard to find people who were having this operation so I thought it would be a good help for people preparing for it.

I had my post op appointment on Friday & I'm recovering very will. I found out my curve used to be 73 & it is now an impressive 37 & i've grown 4cm(!!!)

I hope everything goes well with your daughters operation & if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask
Old 08-09-2013, 05:36 PM

Thanks for your story Ellie - I will be heading down that road soon - T4 to L2! Keep us posted with your recovery and all the best to you. Well done so far.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:37 PM

Hi Heathpal I wish you luck & I hope everything goes good!! Honestly the pain at first is unbearable but it gets better!! and most of all try not let the pre operation gitters get to you! I did and I'm paying for it now :P

I sure will keep updated Knowing it can be hard finding people going through this makes me want people to know how i'm going
Old 10-09-2013, 07:38 PM

Hi Elliee,
could you please explain further what you mean about "pre op jitters getting to you and paying for it now".
Glad you are going well and are happy with your correction, 4cm is a big difference.
Kelly.
Old 13-09-2013, 09:54 PM

I'm currently studying year 12 & because I was soooo stressed about the operation I fell behind on a lot of school work and I'm paying for it now. Sorry I should have explained that more better

Ellie
Old 16-09-2013, 10:44 AM

Thanks Elliee, was just curious as my daughter is sitting her yr 11 exams now and will miss a lot of her first term of yr 12 next term. The school is asking that she try to keep up while not at school rather than try to catch up later which makes sense, but it will be very hard to motivate her to do the work being the last term of the year...I guess we will just have to see how we go.
Kelly.
Old 17-09-2013, 11:57 PM

Ah that's fair enough. Because I live in South Australia the 'SACE' board has given me a thing called 'special provisions' which basically means all the external assessments that get sent to be marked for my SACE certificate can be handed in at a later date then the rest of the year 12's. It's been a such a relief to get that because I'm just finding my motivation levels are down because well it's school work haha I would look into this depending on what ever that states education board it, it takes a lot of pressure of to have that extra time

Ellie