Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 20-12-2011, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Countdown to surgery

Post surgery update...What an experience, great pre admission clinic. Hell time getting canulas and epidurals in (my beautiful boy didn't let me down and did all his fainting again!) three hours wait and then calmly in to theatre. His attitude amazed me once again. Anxious wait but only two hours this time - what a breeze compared to the spinal surgery wait!
A great result, surgeon said they had to do more work on his right side and they put two bars in his chest. Three days in ICU, epidural not working properly and difficulty breathing deeply enough because of that. Great care by the doctors and nurses there, then down to the ward for five days. What a shock that always is after the great care in ICU! Had a few disagreements about his treatment and pain management but we got there. Boy you have to be tough for your kids sometime. Like before hard getting Dom on his feet - a shower at last on day six then home day eight courtesy of Endone and sheer determination.
Been a bit of a shock since we got home, the kid who had only four panadol when we got home from the spinal surgery has had a medication regime of the alarm going off two hourly with a combination of Endone, Panadol, Nurofen, anti nausea wafers and two laxatives! Like having a new born again. Great attitude still and is now able to get himself out of bed and shower (with all the chest fractures he couldn't put any weight on his arms). Now we are working on getting him off the Endone in the next couple of days. He is great but looks a bit fragile so working on feeding him well and strengthening him again.
Looking forward then to a happy, healthy, surgery free 2012. Best wishes to all for a lovely Christmas and good 2012.
Annette
Old 21-12-2011, 03:30 PM

Hi Annette,

Happy to hear that the worst is now over for Dom. I am sure he will recover in good time. After all that he has been through he deserve to be spoilt this Christmas. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Hope 2012 will be kind to all our members and their families. Looking forward to a bright and happy 2012.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:59 PM

Smile Re: Countdown to surgery

Dear Annette and Dom

Oh boy, my heart sinks to read your posts on getting through that surgery. Such difficult, emotionally exhausting times.

And 2 hourly meds on timers - whew that must be so stressful for you.

So fantastic that Dom has such a good attitude - I am sure the maturity they develop in facing these decisions and difficult situations will stand them in good stead to achieve well in adult life. I guess you and Dom are just like Dane and me now - very close with a special mutual respect for each other that no money could buy and words can't express the feelings we share hey?

Annette - you have been such a tower of strength for me and all the others on the forum. I hope you and Dom have a fabulous year in 2012.

All the best

Lots of love
Chris & Dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom's mum View Post
Post surgery update...What an experience, great pre admission clinic. Hell time getting canulas and epidurals in (my beautiful boy didn't let me down and did all his fainting again!) three hours wait and then calmly in to theatre. His attitude amazed me once again. Anxious wait but only two hours this time - what a breeze compared to the spinal surgery wait!
A great result, surgeon said they had to do more work on his right side and they put two bars in his chest. Three days in ICU, epidural not working properly and difficulty breathing deeply enough because of that. Great care by the doctors and nurses there, then down to the ward for five days. What a shock that always is after the great care in ICU! Had a few disagreements about his treatment and pain management but we got there. Boy you have to be tough for your kids sometime. Like before hard getting Dom on his feet - a shower at last on day six then home day eight courtesy of Endone and sheer determination.
Been a bit of a shock since we got home, the kid who had only four panadol when we got home from the spinal surgery has had a medication regime of the alarm going off two hourly with a combination of Endone, Panadol, Nurofen, anti nausea wafers and two laxatives! Like having a new born again. Great attitude still and is now able to get himself out of bed and shower (with all the chest fractures he couldn't put any weight on his arms). Now we are working on getting him off the Endone in the next couple of days. He is great but looks a bit fragile so working on feeding him well and strengthening him again.
Looking forward then to a happy, healthy, surgery free 2012. Best wishes to all for a lovely Christmas and good 2012.
Annette
Old 22-03-2012, 07:40 PM

Hi Annette and Dom

How are you going? I hope not hearing from you means everything is going well and Dom has got back to all things normal.

Think of you often Annette.

Kind regards to you both.

Dane is going well still a bit of a lean and apparently one leg slightly shorter than the other so a little bit of ankle and knee pain - but mostly goo.

take care - would love to hear from you.

Kind regards
Chris & Dane xx
Old 03-04-2012, 08:48 PM

Hi Anettee
where are you travelling from/to? my niece has to go to Melbourne from Hobart for her surgery, bit worried about the flight home! I think its a great idea that you contacted the social worker, i think my niece needs to talk to someone about her scoliosis and operation, as it must be playing on her mind even though she comes across as completely emotionless about it
good luck with your up coming journey, i wish you all the best
amanda
Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 PM

Hi Amanda

I live in Hobart and flew to Melbourne for my surgery last year. Happy to meet or at least chat to your niece if she would like. I live on the edge of the CBD and North Hobart. Send me a PM if you think she would like to.

Christine x
Old 16-04-2012, 09:11 PM

Hi All,
Sorry it has been so long since I have been on, life is just too busy and I think we have finally started to catch up (would never recommend two major surgeries in the one family three weeks apart!)(Chris thanks for your kind thoughts, we do appreciate it, I will try to send you an email soon).
Dom once again has continued to amaze us with his great attitude and was off Endone by Christmas and with only some panadol in the following week, once he turns the corner he really keeps going up. I have to say though that I thought we could cope with anything after the spinal surgery but would never wish this second surgery on anyone!
Thankfully a much quicker physical recovery time and he got back to tennis about 3 1/2 months after this one. We were both so happy, he said it felt good to do something "normal" again. It has been hard starting at a new much bigger school for Yr11, both physically and mentally but by the end of this term he has settled in quite well and starting to enjoy - though not the extra study load!
After much discussion and heartache he agreed to get a built up shoe this year (1.8cm leg difference). Others found it hard to understand his reluctance but to him this was a much more visible and long term thing than the spinal surgery. His spine was fixed this is something he has to cope with forever! My heart ached for him as I "got it", but all done and forgotten about now.
Old 16-04-2012, 09:30 PM

On that note though, we have had a few down days. He has always been so positive and has had an attitude that there are so many people so worse off but he has found it a little harder to see all the good. It is pretty tough when your 16 year old son says "I know it is a long way away but I am really going to have to think about whether I have kids or not aren't I?" Whew that is a hard one to answer! I do as I have always done and give him honesty like "Yes, you will and that is why we will follow up with testing so you know where you stand and what options there are". The spectre of Marfans or an "unnamed connective tissue disorder" still hangs over us with his brother being diagnosed with a slight rounding in his aorta and fluid at the base of his spine. When Dom has his next spinal checkup in July his older brother will also have his first scoliosis appointment....that is a whole other issue "they are not putting rods in my spine!!!" Let's just hope it doesn't come to that, his is nowhere as bad as Dom's at this stage.
Dom is so caring and worries about his brother, they both need to be aware but we don't let it be the focus. Luckily Dom will talk, he is not desperately sad but I am aware and have offered to organize him some counselling but he doesn't feel the need at this stage. I am working hard at building him up as two major surgeries one year apart have taken their toll physically and I don't think this helps mentally.
I sound so gloomy, it isn't all that way. Dom knows his surgeries were necessary and likes the way his body and his health is now. He still has his wonderful sense of humour and is making the most of every day and enjoying life.
Take care
Annette