Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 16-02-2011, 09:49 PM

Default Our Countdown To Surgery Finally Begins

Hi All
Well we had the pre-op clinic and yes it was a very draining day still no definite date although early March looks the go. Laura has to have the halo traction so her first surgery will be about 5 hours and unfortunately the incision will be around her side from rib to rib I'm sure neither of us took a breath for a minute as Laura thought she would just have the back scar. She'll hopefully be only 2 weeks in traction then the spinal fusion she broke down when they told her they shave a little bit of her hair for the halo poor darling I think it was her trying to take in the enormority of everything else that it was the last straw, she has been very positive since so it was probably a good release. Is great to read all the encouraging posts makes you feel a little less stressed. Laura was tested for Marfans as my mum has it and thankfully at this stage she doesn't appear to have it. Anyway will let you guys know when we have a date. Thanks for everyones support
Lynn
Old 17-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Our Countdown To Surgery Finally Begins

Oh the very best of luck to you and Laura and I do hope this doesn't go much past early March. The waiting is the worst. I would imagine tears would be a very natural reaction to such news. It's such a lot to take in especially for one so young. Please let us know how she goes. I hope this all goes smoothly and before you know it, you're home, Laura recovering and looking forward to her future again.
Old 28-02-2011, 07:50 PM

good luck to you and your daughter im on the surgery waiting list they it could be up 12 months wait i hope its sooner than later. Stay strong just know we are all thinking of you and wish you the best.
Old 28-02-2011, 09:44 PM

Thanks for your kind thoughts, we've been on the list 18 months grrrhh was going to go private but seemed to be getting closer each time I enquired wish now I had have the money I would have been out of pocket I probably would have saved in all Laura's visits to her Osteopath over the last year. Still waiting and March is tomorrow not sure what early March means......
Old 28-02-2011, 09:54 PM

Hi Lyn

Hope all goes well with Lauras Surgery!! I hope its sooner rather than later...the waiting is while their in Theatre is the worst!!! Then once they come out you are kept busy caring for their every need!! We had to put Ems hair in 2 platts as the first part of Surgery was through her ribs, then second part she was face down. We didnt even reolise till a month later that they had shaved the bottom? She now has a 3 inch rats-tail which we laugh about! After what you go through, it becomes not so important? Just them re-covering nicely and pain-free. There was a little girl with halo in hospital when we had Surgery,she was always smiling. What State are you in? We had Surgery in Brisbane. Saying Prayers for you guys

Cheers
Tracy
Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 PM

Hi Lyn

just thought of something that might help while Lauras hair is growing back? The wider headbands should cover it up? There is a great range at Diva, really pretty ones plain or patterned? I have also seen them at Best & Less. Im only pressuming it would be near her ears? So that might do the trick till it grows back? Hope that helps

Take Care
Tracy
Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 AM

HI Lynn,

I totally agree with Tracy about the time in theatre being the worst and coming out of the anaesthetic rates highly too. As for dates, they should give you about 6 weeks notice so you should be receiving a letter soon.

good luck