Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Archived questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis > List of questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis

Old 03-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Default Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis

Hello Dr Scoliosis
I am a concerned mother of a 6 year old girl who was diagnosed with scoliosis at 5 years old. We attend a scoliosis clinic and she was fitted with a boston brace as soon as one could be made for her. I have recently learnt that I am not asking the right questions at clinic but we have a few months before we are back there again and I thought you may be able to ease my mind.
Her curve is at 43 degrees. Do you think there is any chance she will avoid surgery in the future?
Also are you aware of any link between congenital hip dysplasia and scoliosis?
Thank you for your time
Old 11-08-2011, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis

Thank you for your enquiry.

Obviously, I can answer your questions in general terms only. If your daughter has idiopathic scoliosis, that is curvature not associated with any other disease or disorder, then it is reasonable to say that a curve of 43 degrees at six years of age has a significant chance of requiring surgical treatment at or about the growth spurt. The spurt takes place in girls between the ages of 11 and 13.

It is reassuring for you that your daughter is attending a scoliosis clinic. The aim of bracing in juvenile scoliosis is to keep the curve under control. Because growth is not rapid between 6 and 11 years of age significant deterioration is unlikely to occur in these years.

There is no association between congenital hip dysplasia and idiopathic scoliosis.

May I suggest that you write down your questions on a piece of paper and take them to your next clinic appointment. This is a useful procedure.

I trust this information is helpful.

Dr Scoliosis
Old 11-08-2011, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis

Thank you Dr Scoliosis
I understand that your advice is only in general terms. And appreciate your response.
I have been compiling my list of questions for clinic but since we only go every 6 months it is nice to have some general ideas.
Thank you again.