Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Surgery

Old 08-11-2016, 11:22 PM

Default 1 year post op!!!

I feel like I've graduated!!!! 1 year post op!!!

It has been a bumpy ride. I can say that the beginning was quite difficult, painful, frustrating to no end!

It started getting better after 2 months. By month 3 I was back at work with reduced hours (my work is physical hence the long wait to return to work). I was doing most things around the house and not feeling as limited or weak as before.

By 6 months I started forgetting I had the surgery in a way

1 year! I still have pain occasionally. When compared to every single day, for years, the kind of chronic pain you forget what it is like to have a day without it, occasional pain is super great! I can walk for quite a long time before I feel my buttock and thigh on the left. I still feel my calf and a sensation like I want to stretch. That's probably due to the nerve compression on that side, but I'm working on that. I can touch my toes. The only time I feel the restrictions of having a fused back is when I'm sitting and I have to pick up something from the floor. I still don't like higher impact activities, but working on that. I can carry weights,I can do gardening, I'm working, I can scrub the floors, etc etc

All is well. I hope things are going ok for you guys as well.
Old 14-11-2016, 08:32 AM

Default Re: 1 year post op!!!

Great to hear Jules,
congratulations!
My daughter is 2 years post op, she is now 18 and living a very normal life which is a huge relief and a great joy!
Cheers,
Old 16-11-2016, 05:47 PM

Default Re: 1 year post op!!!

Hi Jules,

I'm so pleased to hear how well you're doing. It's been a long recovery but you seem to have managed so well.

There's light at the end of the tunnel for us who have just had the op, so well done!

Bren
xx