Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Surgery

Old 27-04-2014, 02:32 PM

Default Re: ...and so my journey begins..

Hi all - i have been without internet for weeks! driving me nuts. Just catching up on posts. 2 weeks to go for me!!! When i think about it my stomach does a series of flips and i get a wee bit stressed. Sally, I will be in Brissy on the 12th if you want to meet up after your appt to swop notes before i go in on tuesday.
Thanks Lorraine for all your support. Counting down..........
Old 28-04-2014, 06:37 PM

Hi Heather, well it's not long to go now, just know we are all there with you. It's been good talking with you.
I had to count my weeks since surgery on the calendar and it's now 13 weeks. It feels like all the weeks have morphed into each other and I can't really distinguish between them as far as progress goes. Being able to lie on one side for a few minutes and sitting for longer and of course being able to shop are the markers of progress. All little but things that normalise life!
Wishing you the very best and know that you have the very best surgeon and medical team.
Lorraine
Old 02-05-2014, 04:28 PM

Hi Heather . I will send you a PM .
Sally
Old 12-05-2014, 07:37 AM

Just saw this. How are you Heathpal?
Old 12-05-2014, 10:26 AM

Wink Re: ...and so my journey begins..

Hi Healthpal,

Just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow for the big day! I am new to the site but am quickly coming up to speed with everyone. Although I am no good at taking my own advice... please take it easy after the operation and just get better. I hope you hear how you are going when you are feeling up to it! My surgery is the 26th May. Take care
Anna
Old 12-05-2014, 09:22 PM

Smile Re: ...and so my journey begins..

Hi Heather
Just wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow. You are in great hands, with such a fantastic surgeon. Im now 13 weeks post, and very pleased that I went through with the op. Fused T4-L3 and feeling proud. Lots of positive thinking, You will be out the other side sooner than you think, telling us your story.

Abbi
Old 31-05-2014, 03:35 PM

Hi everyone - I am BACK! What an experience. Surgery went well except for a reaction to one of the drugs which made me quite sick. Surgeon was happy but was unable to get much correction as the top curve was well and truly fused. However, I now have stability and that is good. Was in hospital for 9 days. The pain was intense and I was VERY uncomfortable but was up and walking on day three. I ditched the walker on day 4 and went it alone. I am surprised at my range of movement and with what I can do myself. Sleeping is not pleasant as can only lie on my back which is still very swollen. I drove the 400kms home (passenger) 2 weeks post op with no problem at all. I take a pillow everywhere I go and can walk for miles. Very little sensation on the back but an unpleasant burning feeling everywhere. Scar is healing rapidly. Most pain is between shoulders (stiffness). I can get out of bed unaided and showering and toileting has never been a problem. So glad it is all over. Thank you for all your messages of support.
Old 31-05-2014, 06:39 PM

Wonderful news! How thrilling to have it over and done with! And "walking for miles!" You're doing incredibly well but I'd like to make a suggestion that may help. Before my surgery, I bought a U shaped pillow and use it so that the U is inverted, and I'd have the "legs" down either side of my back. So that there was no pressure on my scar. I still use it like that when I sleep on my back, because I like the support it gives me. The pain between your shoulders is possibly due to swelling. Sometimes it takes several weeks before all swelling subsides. How are you going with sitting? No sore tail-bone? Congratulations Heathpal!
Old 31-05-2014, 09:01 PM

Hi Heather
Welcome back ! I have been wondering how you were going and was hoping that you were feeling well enough to post soon . Congratulations that you are now on the other side of surgery ... Must be a great feeling. !
It sounds like you are doing really well and to be able to drive that distance home ( even as a passenger ) only 2 weeks after surgery is fantastic .
Take care and continue with your speedy recovery.
Sally
Old 02-06-2014, 08:03 PM

Hi Heather
It was so good to catch up with you on Friday. You are looking fantastic and doing so well. You should be feeling very proud of yourself. Keep up the good work.
Liesel xxx