Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Surgery

Old 09-04-2013, 06:09 PM

Default 1 week after op

Well, as much as I was going to email every day, I'm sorry I couldn't. I think since Wed night, today has been the first day that I have not been dopey, sleepy and in extreme amounts of pain.
I am still sore all over back and in chest but I'm now able to get out of and into bed by self and put brace on by self. The main reason I'm still in is because my bowel has decided to be stubborn and not work so I'm back on IV with potassium.
The doctors I've found are pretty useless and don't listen( I asked one about pain I was having in shoulder and hip and he said that's not normal and walked off) but all the nurses have been wonderful.
Just one note I found, on the second night, the nurses kept putting me on a bedpan but OMG it was the worst pain ever. If you can, ask to be taken to toilet instead.
By the way, thanks so much for all your kind words and info and if you have anything to ask, feel free.
X x renee
Old 09-04-2013, 07:16 PM

Default Re: 1 week after op

Hi Renee

Been thinking of you everyday and sending you good thoughts. Sorry to hear your time has been so rough. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Still amazed you are able to so as much as you can in such a short time.

More big
Carol
Old 09-04-2013, 11:35 PM

Hope you get home soon! Keep eating those prunes!
Old 10-04-2013, 05:03 AM

Hi carol and eliz, thanks for the responses and my mum actually brought in a container of prunes so trying those 😃.
It has been a bad week but like anything else, now that that part is over the best is yet to come. I've been walking heaps last night and getting more sleep.
It is hilarious how many people have asked about my height since the op so I really must be taller!!
All for now,
Renee.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:11 AM

Glad to hear your back on line. I was a bit worried when you had not posted. Keep up the good work
Rosie
Old 11-04-2013, 11:56 AM

Default Grateful for the support

My darling daughter had a bad day today. Her bowel has decided to stop working so now has a tube in her bottom plus a drip yet again. The food is disgusting in the hospital. How do they expect you to get better when you cannot eat the food. I took her in a MKRules lot of food to find that now she is on Nil by mouth. If you read this Renee, Get your bum into gear as that is the only way you will get out of there and eat my yummy food. I'll even order pizza. Love you babe!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:18 PM

Hi Rainy

Renee is sooo lucky to have a mum () like you. for you and for Renee.
How frustrating. Hoping everything improves soon. Couldn't agree more about hospital food Keep some food on the ready for as soon as she can eat again.

Carol
Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 PM

Hi Renee and rainy,
Try to stay positive, difficult I know. My son also needed enema before he could go home. This is a temporary hiccup. I agree with Carol , nothing like home cooking! Best wishes,Liz.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 PM

My mum certainly is the best and after crying for a full day she got me laughing by giving me tough love. I am now in bed cause it hurts too much to walk, I have a colostomy bag to try and help plus I'm supposed to be drinking my 3rd out of 4 cups of fleet. I'm surprised I haven't thrown up yet.
However my neighbor's in the same boat as me with kind of the same op so we've been laughing at how ridiculous we look and taking bets on whose bowel will return to normal first.
Thanks for all the replies and will keep corresponding when I can,
Renee
Old 11-04-2013, 04:56 PM

Hi Renee and Rainy x

Feeling your discomfort

Hopefully you and your neighbour will be in sync and you will both be laughing about it when it all happens!

Christine x