Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Surgery

Old 16-04-2011, 04:26 PM

Default 11 days post surgery

hi everyone,

My anterior fusion surgery went very well with no complications i was fused from T12- L3, i was in hospital for 6 days, sat up 2 days post op- was very very dizzy and vomited. but i was told that would probably happen. it was such a rollercoaster in hospital i dont really remember too much from the first few days. the plane trip home was horrible but it only lasted one hour. thank god

i am now resting at home, my family and partner have been great. yes like everyone i have up and down days but i just keep in the back of my mind that i have had a HUGE operation and even if this takes me several months to recover its a small amount of time to help your spine because its such an important thing.

the only problem i have atm is my rib, well my lack of rib, it is very painful also my stomache and thighs are still quite numb and feel very very brused but no physical brusing. did anyone else have this?

hope everyone is well also i am happy to answer any questions

Georgia
Old 16-04-2011, 06:49 PM

Default Re: 11 days post surgery

Hi Georgia, congratulations, it's over! Did you fly home on day 6? I'm in awe! I couldn't sit for more than 5 minutes at that stage. But you made it. Take it easy and slow, let people look after you. You're best doing nothing but sleeping, eating, walking and sleeping again! In days/weeks to come, you will gradually want to do more and be up to it.

Numbness is normal, it will improve over weeks and months, but some of it may never go away. My surgeon said if it's still there in 12 months, it probably won't go away. I found this to be correct.

You probably have a feeling of bruising because of the man-handling that goes on during and after surgery. You really do take a beating. But it's all for good purpose, it's going to improve and before you know it, you'll be back into life again!
Old 16-04-2011, 06:59 PM

PS, did they take a rib? The pain in that area may last longer than your surgery pain, which is normal, but the good thing is, you will have a nice, flat back. Before long, you'll be able to fully appreciate your new bod!
Old 16-04-2011, 07:00 PM

Congratulations georgia . Sounds like all went well. It's great you made it home safe.just take it easy and listen to your body it does take time to heal. I felt the same as you describe as Jen said you really do take a beating during the surgery. I also had a rib removed it caused me so much discomfort and it took a while for the pain to go. Try to rest as much as you can its great to hear your surgery went well. Kathy
Old 16-04-2011, 07:08 PM

Sorry Georgia forgot to ask are you wearing a brace.
Old 16-04-2011, 07:14 PM

thanks Jen and Kathy,

Yes i am wearing a brace, and will be for the next 3 months.. its already giving me the s**** though.. but it is very hard to walk without it.

yeah flew home on day 6 it wasnt so bad sitting it was just the dizzyness and nausea, i can sit roughly for about 20mins at a time then i need a little lay down.

yeah i suppose you do get quite battered and bruised. feels like i had stomach surgery not spine haha..

hope your both well
Old 16-04-2011, 07:34 PM

Hi Georgia!

That is such good news!!! I have been wondering, and hoping you were ok. That is beautiful, really.

Very good to hear a bit of humour in your posts also!

Please take good care of yourself and let everyone race around after you until you are super strong.

Thanks for letting us all know xxx
Old 16-04-2011, 07:55 PM

Hi Georgia, I hated my brace but over time I got used to it. I always wore singlets under it it made it more comfortable. I also invested in some long cardigans and leggings it was the easiest thing to wear. Have you noticed the change in your body . Did you get taller in height.
Old 16-04-2011, 08:44 PM

i think i have got about 2cm taller and i can deffently notice change in my back and hips- so much better..

yeah i have been just wearing singlets under my brace but i find it hard to wear clothes over it just looks too bulky and weird. and i do live in tassie so its COLD haha. but i dont really go anywhere so i dont care what i look like for now.

Old 17-04-2011, 08:31 PM

Hi Georgia,

So pleased to hear from you! See we knew you could do it, and in 3 months you will go...why did I not do that sooner?? All straight, do you know what correction they got? I did once live in Tassie and I dont recall ever not needing long-johns or multiple jumpers?? Lol! Keep warm,eat lots and exercise as soon as you can, even if its in the lounge chair, doing ham-string strenghtening? Very happy to hear all went well!!

Take care Georgia
Tracy