Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 29-01-2014, 12:10 PM

Default Back spasms?

Hey everyone,
Seven months and two days post op, Felt like yesterday though!
My question though is about back spasms because on the back of my right rib and front of my left rib I've been getting a lot of spasms that go for up to 15 minutes I sometimes get them in my lower back too though, any suggestions on how to stop them? They aren't exactly painful but they're uncomfortable and awkward. Any suggestions on what causes them maybe?
Thankiies, Pippa
Old 30-01-2014, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Back spasms?

Hi
I too had problems with spasms actually just above where my rods finished. Even now, 2 years post op I get them when I stress. I started regular walking 6 months ago (which I was suppose to start straight after surgery) and I have found this has helped a lot. I was just too lazy to walk before this plus a little nervous walking on my own as I couldn't run. Not sure if anyone else has suggestons, Good Luck,
Rosie
Old 31-01-2014, 06:06 PM

Hey Pippa. Have you considered treatment with an Osteopath? It is very gentle and has certainly helped my 14 year old through the past year to manage her niggles and pain. One of her shoulders had a tendency to drop and rotate even after surgery and she found that some simple exercises(recommended by the osteo and physio) to help strengthen the muscles and relieve the pain...
Old 31-01-2014, 07:36 PM

I've been sick for almost a week so I haven't exercised much but I got back into walking and it helps, not just the spasms! Thanks Rosie
And Kiwicurves, we've been to the pain clinic and they gave me medication to help me sleep but I still get a lot of pain and other uncomfortable feelings, we went to a remedial massage place that gave us two exercises but it's hard because I'm still in a lot of pain I've been thinking about going back to hydrotherapy classes (like what you suggested just in warm water). Thanks for the suggestion