Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Surgery

Old 30-04-2013, 06:09 AM

Default 1 month after surgery

Today is a month after my spinal fusion and I actually feel really good. I am now only taking the Tremedo once in the morning and once at night plus I'm only taking the panamax as needed.
I can stay out of bed for up to 7 hours at a time and really only lay down at lunch so I'm ready to go for the afternoon. I've even started doing exercises inc 1kg weights, gentle squats and and lifting the legs up and down (very slowly and gently of course).
I'm finding that I have been able to do heaps of things but mostly with the use of my pick up stick and still need the chair in the lounge from the rehab place (is a lot higher and firm with arm rests).
I think the best things have been getting out of hospital as soon as possible, look at funny side of your situation as much as possible and have an awesome support network around you which I certainly have.
Also because I can't eat much, everyone wants my brace when I'm done so may have to put it on eBay as weight loss thing l.o.l. Anyway, hope this helps future patients and feel free to get in contact if ya want to know anything else.
Old 30-04-2013, 11:17 AM

Default Re: 1 month after surgery

Hi Renee,
Wow your doing really well. What an enormous ordeal your body has gone through - such a big operation. I hope if the time comes ill be as good as you. Keep up the good work.
Mish
Old 30-04-2013, 01:16 PM

Hi Renee

Congratulations on your progress. I need a 'mumma nap' even without surgery.
Sounds like you might make a hefty profit from your brace. I for one would bid on it if it stops me from eating as much, especially chocolate!
Keep up the good work. Love reading your posts and am hoping that I will make as a good a support mum as yours if my daughter ever needs surgery (but madly hoping she doesn't as to date she has not been a 'good patient' ).

Cheers
Carol
Old 30-04-2013, 06:23 PM

Dear Renee,
Sounds like you are recovering well from the surgery. It's very encouraging for those of us who are still on "the other side". I am certainly feeling positive after reading posts such as yours. Keep up the good work.
Marsha
Old 30-04-2013, 11:29 PM

Well done Renee, you are doing really well. Keep up the good recovery.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 AM

Hi Renee

Wow you seem to be getting things together promptly!

But please don't push too hard...sometimes the Tramedol can make you a bit speedy and euphoric, so you feel like superwoman

I love the way the braces look (I didn't have one though) and I like to think they are a piece of weird sculpture. Frida Kahlo must have had a stack of them laying about her place!

Christine x
Old 02-05-2013, 12:39 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses and words of encouragement. As far as making a speedy recovery, I think (hope) that because I lost quite a bit of weight beforehand and started exercising heaps (Zumba) that its helping now and maybe because I had the surgery while I was still quite young.
As for having your child possibly going through the surgery, the best thing my mum and husband did for me was the tough love approach and making me laugh heaps (mum called me tin man for a while and I think my husband did it just cause he's a guy and they don't do sympathy well lol).
I looked up the artist u mentioned Christine and I felt very lucky to only have had a spinal fusion haha. All my friends and family have written over mine so it's very colorful and funny to read.
Looking forward to meeting you when u make it to melbourne and take care all of you!!
Much love to my zipper club (future and present) members,
X x o o Renee