Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Surgery

Old 04-04-2013, 02:47 AM

Default 2nd day after surgery

Hiya to everyone still hanging in there, just starting with a small post today because I felt that they were important.
1. Morphine makes your skin itchy and when I mentioned this to nurses, apparently this is normal.
2. I ended up getting quite hysterical last night because I woke up with (quite severe) back pain. What I didn't realize is that when you fall asleep, u of course stop pressing your morphine and your back notices QUICKly.
Unfortunately, my nurses solution was to tell me to stop crying and don't stop pressing morphine which means saying goodbye to sleep.. However, my lovely neighbor encouraged me to breath in through nose and out through mouth which helped me to calm down.. And I made sure to press that damn button every 5 minutes and finally the nurse listened to me and gave me an extra med until morphine kicked in.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 AM

Default Re: 2nd day after surgery

Hi Renee

The first four days after surgery are the very worst! It does take a while to sort out pain control and it has to be working well before you go home. I had strong reactions to most, the ones I remember were Endone, which gave me the itches and vomiting , then tried Tramedol, which put me straight back to the seventies and had me hallucinating (I quite liked that experience ) and vomiting even more profusely (which I didn't like ) and finally Oxycontin was the one that worked without any side effects at all.

It's big. In terms of pain, I've never felt anything like it before and it is a totally raw, deep pain, like my whole inner core was being clamped and tortured! But then, by the end of the week, after a very sooky, teary day on day five, it all started to settle and got to a manageable level and life looked pretty good again! I left the hospital quite excited that I was on the other side of surgery.

So keep that in mind during these early days as you and your body have been through quite a bit physically and emotionally. And keep on top of those nurses, they are there for your well-being!

Nice you have someone in a bed close to you for some comfort and moral support. Hope you get some rest soon.

Christine xxx
Old 04-04-2013, 02:35 PM

Hi Renee

Happy Birthday for yesterday, same day as my little boy who turned 4. A huge congratulations on being on the other side of your op, well done. Im really looking forward to hearing how your recovery goes as im due to have my op in Brisbane at the end of the year.
Ive just turned 37 and will be fused from T4 - L3 I am very nervous. As Im not in any pain at the moment, and have been very lucky, but i am very concerned that I will be left with problems and pain after op. I know it neds to be done as the curve will only just increase. I have a rather large rib hump which I hate. What was your rib hump like? have you been told how your correction went?
Looking forward to hearing more. rest up and take it easy xx
Abbi
Old 04-04-2013, 03:48 PM

Hi Renee,
Really feel or you!
My son hit the wall on day five with pain rating of 15/10. The drugs had been on request of patient and pump had gone. The nurse hadn't been asking the right questions. By 10pm, things were bad, they tried Valium, which just made him trip out and feel worse. At midnight, anti nausea pills then iv tramadol saved his life.
Next morning surgeon put on standing order for drugs 3 hourly, panadeine forte then endone alternating, with 12 hourly oxycontin. Things were good after that.
Xx