Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 16-08-2012, 12:24 AM

Default Just asking some questions.

Hi my name is Jake I'm 17 and new to the forum. I'm getting my scoliosis surgery in February next year and I have two curves in my spine one which is 80 degrees and the other 72 degrees. As I have just under 6 months until my operation I just wanted to ask some questions to people who have had the surgery before.

What is the pain like after the operation?
How long after your operation do they make you start walking again?
What is the scar like?
And also does your back feel any better than it did previously to your operation?

I hope I can get some answers

Thanks a lot
Old 16-08-2012, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Just asking some questions.

Hey Jake
I know its pretty scary stuff finding out your up for surgery but honestly the out come will be good and hopeully a life with less pain.

What is the pain like after the operation?
Pain after the op wasnt anywhere as bad as I expected in saying that you have to take your pain medication when its due, keep on top of that pain. The secret is to keep to the schedule and if pain is becoming to bad ask for more and then they can give you something else that may work in a different way. Dont try and be brave and say no to the drugs other wise pain can get out of control and very very hard to lower the pain after this happens. Keep positive, listen to the medical staff and never be afraid to ask anything and tell them about your pain.

How long after your operation do they make you start walking again? The next day or two, the quicker your up the quicker the road to recovery. You need to be up and going to keep that blood pumping around your body to stop clots forming and help you poo (this is very important).

What is the scar like? Scar.....well its a scar doesnt bother me and I am female....hey dont they say chicks dig guys with scars (tell them you fought on a private ship and they stabbed you in the back)

And also does your back feel any better than it did previously to your operation? Yes my back feels alot better, it takes time to get used to your new back. You will notice wierd feelings of jabs, pulled muscles etc (liveable) but its just your body adjusting and its not really a probem just a different feeling.

You will be fine just keep positive. Honestly the very worst time is the next few months waiting for the op, now thats torture so dont dwell on it.
Where in Oz are you?

Keep us updated
Rosie
Old 16-08-2012, 10:25 AM

HI Jake, welcome to the forum where you will meet great people who can help you and support you so much. My daughter had her surgery 7 weeks ago today with an awesome surgeon who got a great correction. She is doing so well she doesn't even take panadol most days. She is back at school fulltime and wants to get back in the pool as she is a good swimmer. Rosie has given you some great advice. I would add that taking your ipod to hospital and your phone to text friends is a good idea. They are great distractions and helped Sophie through some hard patches. If you haven't already got a queensized bed then I think it is a great idea to get one. You need lots of pillows when you first get home and it would be hard to set them up on a single bed.
Good luck - stay positive and you will be fine.
Regards
Jane
Old 16-08-2012, 01:07 PM

Hi Jake
My son had anterior spinal fusion surgery last August in Adelaide, his name is also Jake, and he's 17 too! To answer your questions:
1. The pain is very well managed after surgery and he never once complained of unbearable pain. He was off all medication after 3 weeks.
2. They got him up the day after surgery, just to stand quickly and take a couple of steps. He had the op on a Tuesday and was walking up and down stairs by the Friday.
3. The scar is fine, it's faded heaps and doesn't bother him at all.
4. He didn't suffer pain before surgery so it's hard to compare, but has certainly had no pain or problems since, and has just been on a ski trip with no problems at all. His curves were 60 and 48, he is still a bit curvy, but heaps better, you don't notice at all unless he has no top on.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll be amazed by the results.
Sue
Old 19-08-2012, 02:39 AM

Thanks a lot for all the answers and advice everyone it's helped a lot.

And Rosie I live in Perth
Old 19-08-2012, 01:08 PM

hi jake
your along way from me then as i am in brissy
rosie