Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Surgery

Old 05-05-2011, 01:14 PM

Default 4 weeks post op

Hi everyone,
4 weeks post op now going well, like everyone I have up and down days but lately I'm finding it hard to get the motivation to walk everyday.

Also when I left the hospital they gave me a shower chair to use for the next 6 weeks everytime i shower, but I find it harder to sit on the chair and shower rather then to shower normally. Has anyone else felt like this? I know it's not good for me to stand without my brace but it's so much easier!

Georgia
Old 06-05-2011, 08:43 PM

Default Re: 4 weeks post op

Hi Georgia,

In hospital I was given a toilet raiser and a shower chair as well. I only sat on it for the nurses to wash my hair as it was close to waist length at the time.
Apart from that one day (day 2 post op), I never used it again. I showered everyday in the normal way, however, the toilet raiser I had delivered home, I kept for the first 6 weeks. As I had had both anterior and posterior surgery, both my legs and stomach muscles were extremely weak and there was no way I could have gotten back up from a squat position. At the 6-8 week mark, I seemed to improve in leaps and bounds. My surgeon does not brace his patients, so I dont know how that feels. Take it one day at a time and dont try to speed up your recovery, you will thank yourself in the long run!
Best wishes for a continued good recovery.