Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Archived questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis > List of questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis

Old 08-10-2015, 06:57 AM

Default Right shoulder blade appears to be protruding more?

I had harrington rods put in when I was 15 years of age for severe scoliosis and have been fit and well for the last 40 years. I have noticed of late that my right shoulder blade appears to be protruding a little more than usual. My posture is still good and both shoulders are even; the right one is not higher than the left as one would expect with my shoulder blade not in place. My question is can scoliosis begin to appear again after such a long period of time even though harrington rods are still in place. Many thanks and I look forward to your response. Regards Neralyn
Old 10-10-2015, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Right shoulder blade appears to be protruding more?

Thank you for your question. Progression of scoliosis 40 years after fusion would be unusual. The fused section of spine would be expected to remain solid this long after the surgery. It is possible that the spine above or below that area could change. An Xray of the spine would be a good idea. This will allow assessment of the fused and unfused areas of the spine and ensure that the implant has remained in place. I would recommend seeing your GP for advice.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Right shoulder blade appears to be protruding more?

Many thanks for your response... very much appreciated.