Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Introductions > Meeting place

Old 25-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Smile Re: Meet and Greet

Hi Katherine,
Welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear you are in pain, hopefully it will all be over soon. There are a couple of people on here that are post-op including myself. If you have any questions regarding surgery (pre and post-op) just let us know. I was fused T11 - S1 Posterior and L4/5-L5/S1 Anterior. I had a 58 degree Thoracolumbar curve. I was corrected to 5 degrees. Pre-op, was in lot of pain - now post op, pain free, except for some nigglys from time to time! Hope to see you around on the forums. Have a great day!
Old 25-02-2010, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Meet and Greet

hi ,
i may have to have 2 surgeries an anterior and posterier spinal fusion would anyone know recovering time and how they managed having two operations.Whats it like when you wake up after the surgery.thanks
Old 25-02-2010, 09:39 PM

Smile Re: Meet and Greet

I had both anterior and posterior down under the same anaesthetic. My surgery started at 8.30am and finished at 3.45pm. I went to recovery from there and then back to my room at about 6.30pm. My daughter told me that i woke up briefly and then went back to sleep. I slept until about 5,30am the next day. My surgeon visited me at 7.30am and told me that all went well and that i didn't go to ICU because i didn't need it. When i woke up, i was surprised that i wasn't in any pain - just discomfort. He didn't want me to get out of bed that day, but i told him that i had to and so.... he sent in the physio. She got me out of bed and i took a couple of steps. Then in the afternoon, we went for a bit of a walk and by the evening (so long as i had someone with me) i was allowed to walk the hospital halls. Hope this helps!
Have you read the book 'Scoliosis Surgery' by David Wolpert? This is a good reference guide.
Old 24-04-2010, 07:45 PM

I had my operation in 1966 when they fused me from T4 to L3 in Melbourne, and had Harrington rods put in my back. I have had a totally normal life been able to do everything I wanted , until the last few years when pain has sneaked up and got me.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Hello 'Meet & Greet' people,

Any Older MEN ?

My story is that I am 58, just 11 weeks post-op, spinal fusion S1 - T4, and still on pain-killers (less than when in Hospital - which was 4 weeks, and less than when in convalescence - also 4 weeks); 'so far, so good' !

I had had some left leg numbness pre-op, and for over two years before that, increasing levels of referred pains, especially left leg.

I'm interested especially in the experiences of men around my age, as scoliosis tends to be far more a woman's condition than a man's (as my elderly mother has some scoliosis, I seem to have inherited the gene responsible).

I am also unable to pull my socks on, however, my surgeon's primary goal of arresting further deterioration, seems to have been achieved.

I have had my first post-Hospital surgical review 7 April 2011, with another late May, and I attend twice weekly physio (by taxi, as I am not yet confident driving my car yet).

Any older guys care to share their (similar) experiences ?

Regards,
'Harry'.

Last edited by Harryis57; 12-04-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Spelling correction / Bold Topic
Old 12-04-2011, 03:00 PM

Welcome Harry! To the best of my knowledge, you are our one and only older man. We have a couple of teenage boys here though. But the American Scoliosis forum has several men of various ages as members if you interested in looking there. Send me a PM if you want the site address (not sure if it's allowed here.)

At 11 weeks, I couldn't pull my socks on either, but you will get plenty of flexibility improvements over the next 12 months. I also didn't drive until 3 months. I thought I was 100% at 6 months but improvements continued up to a year. I'm 2 years post-op and almost 60. (The new 40.) I feel a million dollars and can do anything. Best of all, I'm pain-free.

Has the pre-op numbness in your left leg improved?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Hi everyone

I have only found the Meet and Greet thread and after quite a while on the forum I thought I should put my bit up.

Hobart is home and I am almost 49.

My surgery happened in Melbourne recently on June 6 and I am now almost 4 weeks post op. I was fused (posterior) T4 to L1. My pre-op curve was around 46T 30L and I have a follow up in two months to see how it all went.

I had a fairly noticeable and painful rib hump and prominent shoulder blade on my right side, which appeared to be gone when I was in hospital, but over the past week or so it seems to have reappeared, especially my pesky pointy shoulder blade. I am hoping that is either part of the healing process, or it can be fixed in another procedure. I am back to lots of discomfort while on my back sleeping ( as if it wasn't hard enough anyway!!!!) and sitting.

My scar is super sensitive, especially near the lowest cross-bar (what is the name of those things?).

Other than that I think things are going as expected. Slow!

Christine xxx
Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 PM

Springy, 29.

Live in Sydney.

It would be great to meet folk to be able to have some people to with which I can talk about spinal stuff.
Old 14-07-2011, 08:46 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been a member for a while but don't post very much. I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences and all the positive post op feedback. My surgery date is set for 15th August and I am now on the countdown. I will be having fusion from T4 to L5 for correction of 64 degree Thoracic and 47 degree Lumbar curves. The surgery is on my mind quite a bit although all the positive feedback on here helps a great deal. I guess the not so great things going through my mind - such as 'what if I wake up during the op' are applicable to anyone having surgery. Anyway, just saying hi and will keep you posted. Cheers. Lil
Old 14-07-2011, 09:30 PM

Hi Lil

The waking up during surgery was on my mind sometimes too!!! But did not think about it at all on the actual day of surgery. I was too busy with admission, blood tests, questions, forms, handsome anaesthetists ... just watching everything go on, which I found really interesting, so not so much time to think really. And the staff kept me quite amused.

Not long to go for you. I was fused T4 to L1 so you will have a bigger scar than me you lucky thing! I love it. It speaks about my past life and my new exciting one happening now with a stronger back.

All the best and make sure you go in without any stress whatsoever. One of my regrets is that I shouldn't have stayed at work so close to the surgery. A couple of weeks before to wind down is a good idea, if you can.

Christine x