Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Observation and medical supervision

Old 03-08-2011, 10:00 PM

Smile 6 year old with scoliosis

Hi everyone
I am new to this site. I am a mum to the most beautiful and brave little girl who was diagnosed 18months ago at age 5 with a 40 degree curve.
Lily wears a boston brace 23 hours a day and is tremendous.
We have been lucky to have very supportive family, friends and people at school to help her deal with this situation.
Sadly we have yet to meet another person with a child Lily's age with scoliosis. The other parents we meet at clinic either have teenagers or their children also suffer from conditions such as cerebal palsy.
I figure there must be others in Australia that have young children who have been diagnosed?? I would love to hear from anyone because I can honestly say that even with the amazing support network we have I am often left feeling very alone. I would really appreciate the chance to swap stories with someone who really understands.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:30 PM

Default Re: 6 year old with scoliosis

WElcome to the forum mummashan, I can't offer you anything in terms of an experience as I was the patient. I hope that someone comes along real soon to put you at ease with all the questions you may have. Once again welcome.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:37 PM

Thank you Rodverta. I hope so too.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:14 PM

Hi Rodveta
Hoping for more insight: with a child's seating, without a brace, would it help to provide a bit of recline ( even to rest on from time to time)?

Child I'm seeing, age 8, is constantly on upright seating. She struggles to maintain head up. Her only independent mobility is scooting on her bottom on th floor, and we don't want to deny her this.

Can you remember your situation before your treatment?
Thanks.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:59 PM

Hi Ive sent you a private message. Hope this helps

Tracy
Old 08-04-2012, 11:31 PM

Sorry for the delay in resposnding. I am not sure what answers you are looking for. I would like to clarify, that it was I who was the patient and that I am in no way a professional on the subject of scoliosis. If you are seeking an opinion, I suggest that you ask Dr Scoliosis. He, I would say is in a way better postion to answer your question. Regards, Rodverta
Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 PM
littlepink

Hi Mummashan
We have another beautiful brave 6 year old who has been diagnosed 2 months ago. She has been placed on the wait list for the plaster cast to try and straighten her 57 degree curve a little bit. I see you have been on this forum since Aug 2011 I bet you have a lot of answers for me. How did your little girl cope with the brace initially? Did you tell her straight up what was happening to her?