Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Brace management

Old 29-11-2012, 05:04 PM

Default scared mum

Hi ,
my daughter miss j has just been told she has to wear a boston brace . her curve is 36 % and is in the lumbar she also has a 25% curve up closer to her shoulders . I feel sick with worry for her as she will probably have to wear it for a good 5 years and there is no guarantee it will even work.
My son Mr B also is showing signs of this as well
feeling a little over overwhelmed at the moment .
Old 30-11-2012, 08:09 AM

Default Re: scared mum

Hi
Things will be fine as there are some great surgeons around if it gets that far. Just remember its not a death sentence. I had surgery and can function fine, with only very very little loss of moment. I am fused from T6 to sacrum. If your kids are strong and healthy dont worry. I know as a mum we worry about our kids but kids bounce back out of most things life puts in their way
Rosie
Old 30-11-2012, 04:25 PM

Thanks Rosie ,
I'm glad i found this site so i can talk to people who have been or are going through it .Yes you are right its not a death sentence and i have to keep reminding myself of that and she is a strong girl much stronger than me i think : )
Old 30-11-2012, 06:09 PM

Hi,
Rosie has great advice. My daughter's curve was too big to brace and she had surgery 28/6/12. She is back in the pool doing swimming training, tumble turns and jogging too. She had a 63 degree curve and the correction has been amazing. If it does end up with surgery then I agree with Rosie...in my experience my daughter's surgery and recovery have been nothing short of remarkable! Good luck and yes the people on this forum are awesome and the best support you could wish for. Take care
Jane
Old 30-11-2012, 07:58 PM

Hi Jane ,
Thank you so much it is very reassuring to hear success stories .How old is your daughter ?
Janene
Old 30-11-2012, 09:03 PM

Hi Janene,
she turned 15 on 7th June. She is a good swimmer and due to her very good posture and core body strength due to the swimming her curve was not as noticeable as it would normally have been for the size of it. She also had no pain at all. She did notice it was harder to get big breaths to turn in about October last year and some rib pain which lasted 1 day. GP's didn't even look for scoliosis when she was checked in November last year. Originally in WA they said she would have to wait 16-18 months for surgery because they do not operate in private hospitals here so you have no choice but to be in the public system. Knowing that the brace wouldn't fix it and might not even contain it because of the size of the curve and its location I decided to investigate eastern states surgery. The surgery was done in Victoria and everything about the Victorian Health System was awesome.
Thanks Jane
Old 05-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Hi Janene,
Know exactly how you feel. My daughter was 9 when first put into her brace. A very daunting experience to see your child in a hard shell. Unfortunately our outcome was not good as we were told that the brace was not tight enough, after she was wearing it for 18 months, to this day I can not understand why this was not pointed out earlier, now she is 12 with a curve of 63 degrees, her op is booked for Jan in Melbourne 2013.

All I can say is make sure it is worn firmly, otherwise it is a waste of time.
Had my Daughter worn it tighter we may have had a better outcome. I hope your child has success with the brace, best of luck. Brett
Old 23-12-2012, 07:15 AM

Thank you Brett ,
That is great advice Thanks
Good luck to you and your daughter for her operation and i hope it all goes well.
Janene
Old 06-03-2014, 02:12 PM

Hi Janene,

How is your daughter (and son) doing? Feeling any more reassured a year on?

As someone who was diagnosed at 11 with a 38deg curve, wore a brace til I was 16 & surgery at 18 (at 78deg) - I can reassure you life at 29 is great.

I never felt any different to everyone else growing up & thought of it just like being the kid with a broken arm. I would absolutely not change anything or wish I had grown up any different. It was my mum who was freaked out. We tried every alternative therapy on this planet.

The surgery went fine & I now never really have to think about it again! You'd be surprised how resilient kids are.