Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 18-09-2013, 05:01 PM

Default Re: What do Mum's do?

My daughter did not do any school work at all for the first three weeks. Although she wasn't sleeping during the day, she spent the vast majority of her time in bed watching DVDs. She did a little bit, perhaps an hour a day, in the fourth week. Then it was school holidays and there was no way she was doing school work then! Like I said earlier, she's only in Year 8, so not a really important year compared to some. She's had no issues with being behind since returning to school.
The privacy thing was not an issue for us. She's always been quite open in that respect. I did have to wash her hair for her the first few times she showered but she was ok with that. Having said that, they get back to being able to do things for themselves pretty fast.
Try not to stress too much in the lead up. I said I wish I had known how well everything was going to go beforehand as it would have saved me a lot of worry! Three months and three days post surgery on Sunday just gone, my daughter ran a 12km fun run. So they really do get back on track pretty fast.
Take care.
Old 22-09-2013, 11:40 PM

Hi Kellylaree,
The hard part about trying to keep up with school work is that the time kids can sit up for after the surgery is limited especially if there are lumbar vertebrae included in the fusion. I read things to my daughter to help her and she dictated some answers for me to type. I also took a total of 6 weeks off work (plus the 2 weeks of school hols as I am a teacher) so i was able to help her immensely with catching up and then keeping up with work. Her teachers were awesome in allowing some of her assignments to be due later and assessments the same. These teachers also liaised with me about work that was to be done and emailed us too. My daughter is at a small country high school where each student is treated very personally which really helped. As far as lack of privacy goes I guess I should warn you that all of our nurses agreed that every girl who has had scoliosis surgery in their experience has a period very soon (2 days in my daughter's case) after the surgery whether it is due or not - they don;t know why. So be prepared for that just in case. Your daughter will be so busy trying to cope with the drugs, physio, pain and just basic things we take for granted that I'm pretty sure she will realise that she needs all the help she can get. My daughter was just thankful for all the nurses did for her. My daughter did cheer the first time i let her shower unaided/assisted!
We are now 15 months down the track and you would never know the surgery had even happened. Keep talking to people on this forum - thay are awesome and were my lifeline.
Take care
Jane
Old 30-09-2013, 08:17 AM

Thanks Ladies, your information is invaluble and very much appreciated xxx We are just over 3 weeks away from surgery now and i was wondering what were the best things you packed for hospital and what did you take but didn't use???
Kelly.
Old 30-09-2013, 02:43 PM

The bare minimum.
For me .... something to read and my iPhone!
For him .... he didn't need anything for the first few days and then just his pjs and a toothbrush. He was able to put a t-shirt over his head without too much difficulty. Towards the end of his week in hospital a laptop and some dvds came in useful but his levels of concentration were fairly short and he tired quickly.
He lost his appetite while in hospital too, and hospital food wasn't flash so snack-type/alternative foods are also helpful to have handy.
Old 30-09-2013, 08:15 PM

I agree with MAB. You don't need much. My daughter only changed out of her hospital gown on the third day and then wore track pants and a T-shirt. She spent a lot of time on her phone but didn't really have the energy to read. She watched a bit if TV.
I took in shampoo etc for once she was up and about and wanted a shower.
I read a lot! I was actually kind on of nice being there while she slept and reading book after book!
Nail polish remover is handy for getting the glue out of their hair.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 PM

Wow glad I asked that one...lol. Would have taken too much for sure if I hadn't asked. Three weeks today, but have so much going on between now and then it will be here before we know it.