Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Non-surgical management

Old 26-01-2011, 02:45 PM

Default Exercise

Hi all,

Just wanted to know if anyone with scoliosis struggles with exercising?? I used to exercise everyday and loved to jog. I struggle to even walk these days. By the end of the day I can hardly move and just want to lay down because my muscles and back are so sore. It really gets me down! Is this something others have experienced?

Thanks!
Jess
Old 27-01-2011, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Exercise

Hi Jess, I can't say I've ever had that problem. Be interested in what others have to say. Is it the pain that makes it a struggle, or tiredness, or stiffness?
Old 29-01-2011, 01:00 PM

Hi Jess

I used to go to the gym heaps, for over 30 years (now 48) and quit last year as the pain was outweighing the benefit. Couldn't do any over-head weights/exercises or sit-ups anymore as it would make every nerve in my body pinch. Even swimming hurts as it fights the way my back wants to twist. My doctors still recommend I swim, but I don't. I become a mess after nights of not being able to sleep from the nerves pinching and bones hurting. And I have arthritis now too, to top things off.

So all I do now is walk, I sold my car and bought a bicycle too. It is a bit harder to keep trim though, although I am never overweight as I find even a few extra kg's causes extra back pain. But I just have to be more cautious.

Really miss the exercise though, I use to love a good workout!
Old 31-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Hi Jen - It's pain, tiredness and stiffness! By the end of the day I stuggle to even bend over. I have become used to it now but its a stuggle.

Hi Christine - Nice to know someone else who feels the same. It is so depressing especially as I used to run everyday. The pain and stuggle of it all is just not worth it anymore so I am trying to walk when I can. I am like you though, wish my body was up to it because I really love to exercise!
Old 31-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Hi Jess, pain is very tiring, it sucks the life out of you, so I can understand that you're tired after a day of pain.

In the last 12 months before I had surgery, I purchased a "magnetic wrap" to wear around my waist. It's a wide, stiff band and is held by strong velcro so it fits various sizes. I got it at the chemist. When I wore that (around home only) I got a lot of relief. I do not know if it was the magnets (I suspect not) but more that it was the strong support given to me as I was crunching down, with ribs on hips etc. They are about $60 and I wrapped it tightly. It did help. It might be worth the investment. I am lucky enough to have given all my wraps away now.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 PM

Yup, I get it too. After exercise any kind even swimming, I feel really bad. But I seems to get worse if I don't exercise because of the weight gain I guess and weak muscles.

I do find that stretching gently helps, but I would get advice on your specific condition first and get the correct exercises.
Old 19-09-2012, 07:33 PM

Hi, yeah I think this is very common for people with scoliosis!
I used to be able to go to the gym 3-4 times a week and was a competetive swimmer.
Now I can only walk around 2km and then I need to lie down.
I cope now because I'm taking endep as a pain reliever but can still feel the stiffness and aching of my body.

It's hard ! I've put on weight now which is really hard for me to cope with as I have never been very big.
The best exercise I have found is
-walking at a reasonable pace regularly
-clinical pilates (gentle exercises in a controlled environment)
-home exercises to maintain muscle strength

THis does mean that you cant do cardio to burn off energy!! Which I find incredibly frusterating! I would love to be able to go for a run!! But would suffer if i did.

Keep battling on! Thats all we can do. Be positive and do what works for you. Focus on what you can do!
Old 15-07-2019, 06:14 PM

There are special workouts like doing pilates that could help in the health problem.