Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 29-11-2009, 06:09 PM

Smile Re: Hi Everyone

Hi Donna,
in case life gets a bit hectic this week, I just wanted to pass on my best wishes to Gabby on her surgery on Tuesday. To you Donna, I know how hard it can be sometimes to be a mum, but hang in there. Its a tough hurdle for you and your family, but you will get over it. I'll be lighting a candle for you all. Once again, Good Luck. Let us know how she went after the surgery when you can.
Old 30-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Hi Everyone

Thanks Vali,
We are in hospital right now. She is having an MRI as we speak.
She is nervous but on some drugs which are helping.
I am very nervous and anxious and just hope from the bottom of my heart that i have made the best decision.
This is very surreal and we cannot believe we are here going through with it.
I am just praying heaps and hope the "big fella upstairs" comes through for us.
Gabby went to a youth group night on Saturday night with another girl.
She told me she met a girl there that has spina bifida and another brain disorder. In total so far she has had 36 brain operations and more to come.
She said she is happy and positive and that meeting her helped her feel better about this.
We will keep you all in touch.
Thankyou for everyones prayers and please keep praying.
Lots of love
Donna and Gabby.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 AM

Hi Donna and Gabby. Hope all is going well -- my thoughts are with you both.
Please let us all know how Gabby is doing.
Hope Lauren isn't getting too nervous now. Let us know how she goes when you can. We went shopping for another nightie yesterday for Alex- seems to lift her spirits somewhat.
Getting nervous now but determined to keep positive and smiling !
Jo
Old 02-12-2009, 10:31 PM

Hi Donna,
Hope everything went well and that she is resting comfortably.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:41 AM

Hi Jo,
Sorry i'm late. Best wishes for Alexandra on her surgery today. Hope all goes well. Please post as soon as you can.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbysmum View Post
Australia..... wake up! Why is there no longer testing in schools for scoliosis. This is a condition that if discovered early enough can be treated.
We didnt find Gabbys until it was too late.
If only there was more awareness out there.
Please post. We need to get this forum alive!!! It will help us Aussies being affected by scoliosis.
Regards
Donna.
I was tested at school (Russia) at 10yo and nothing was noted but managed to develop a 30degree curve within 3 years upon moving to Australia. Some curves can be very aggressive. It is sad that most people don't even know what it is here!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 PM

Hi everyone. Well it's just now i've had a chance to get back to this site. Alexandra had her op on the 7th Dec and is now recovering well. It was a harrowing experience , however the positive outcome will over time outweigh the negatives. Alex is now taller by a couple of cm's of which she is rather happy about - no doubt as she's now taller than her mum ! The hospital staff and doctors were fantastic but we were happy to leave after 7 days. Alex managed her meds at home quite well and is now off everything except for something every now and again. We've been on a couple of " mall " outings which last around 30-40 mins at a time. Her scar is very fine and has healed remarkably well. She feels not too bad but has described herself as feeling as though she is constantly carrying around a heavy backpack. I guess over the coming months her back will strenghten and she will cope a lot better. Her mood is rather depressed as she can't go out of the house for any long period of time and she must have watched a 100 movies !! Once she get's back to school at the end of the month i'm hoping she won't focus on this so much. Thankyou for everyones imput over the last month it was very helpful.
kind regards
Jo
Old 11-01-2010, 04:23 PM

Hi Jo,
Good to read that all went well with Alexandra. Great to also read that she is off all pain meds. How does she like her new height?I noticed in your post, you said she is becoming a little depressed, with not being able to go out more. Is this because she is tired or doctors orders? Will she be returning to school fulltime immediately or gradually. Those bags can be damn heavy! I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you a late Merry Xmas (hope you had a good one) and a Happy New Year, may it bring you wishes of health, wealth and happiness.
Old 19-01-2010, 09:54 AM

Hi Rodverta,
Best wishes to you also for the New Year ! We are going to have to take each day at a time with schooling. She has told me that sitting for any extended period of time is a "no go". I'm sure her on off sour moods will disappear when she starts to interact with her school friends and she won't be depressed about not being able to go to the movies etc because of the nagging pain. These have been rather long protracted school holidays to say the least. Anyway it's a pity none of the other mums have come online as I would have liked to hear from them. Hopefully we'll hear from them at a later point. Meanwhile take care.
kind regards Joanne
Old 21-01-2010, 09:51 PM

Hi Joanne, yes i remember Kaitlin was very up and down after her surgery. It actually took about 6 months until the moods evened out. I wasnt sure if it was the age or the surgery!! Am sure things will be better once school goes back. What are you going to do about the heavy school bag? Kaitlin refused to take a wheely bag and i got her friends to take it in for the first few weeks. Now the thing weighs so much i must admit to worrying about it! Take care , Melinda