Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 01-09-2012, 12:12 AM

Default numbness in shoulder blades post surgery

Hi everyone,
My daughter had spinal surgery last year at age 13yrs. L4-T4 for three large curves.
After the surgery she measured 167cm but a few weeks after the surgery she dropped to 165cm... over the past 12mths she is definitely still growing as her trousers are getting shorter. However today at clinic she measure 166.1cm. The Dr shrugged and said its not possible and left it at that!

Unfortunately she hasnt been pain free and I have noticed her shoulders are starting to be uneven again. Todays Xray showed the neck curve is still very much there and her shoulders were lop sided. She still has bits of her back along the scar that are still numb which I think might just be nerve damage and livable... but today she also mapped out a rather large section over her left shoulder blade that is completely numb. Has anyone else had this sort of numbness in the upper back that has occurred well after surgery? I dont know what it might mean.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 AM

Default Re: numbness in shoulder blades post surgery

I believe there can be some "settling" post-surgery, as I've read about it elsewhere. I don't know if I lost height because I haven't measured myself. But I definitely have one shoulder lower than the other now. So far, 3.5 years out from surgery, I have no pain and can do anything I want, so I am not going to worry about it. The situation may be different in kids, I don't know. Hopefully another Mum with experience in this, will stop by.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:47 AM

Hi
I am the same as Jen but I am 6 months post op. Havent measured myself but I feel I have lost some of the height I gained after surgery and blades are one lower than the other. I have numb areas all over my back, feels a very odd feeling. I think this is normal
Rosie
Old 01-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Smile Re: numbness in shoulder blades post surgery

I am not fused that far up as I am T11-L5/S1 and can only think that at this point in time, this could be normal for you. I have regained all the feeling along my surgical incision line, however, I am 3 years post op and this may account for the improvement. (The old saying 'time heals'). I haven't measured myself lately, but I think I am still the same height. I am not a Dr and don't pretend to be, but is there a possibility that the numbness along the shoulder blades, could be attributed to the curve in the neck? Maybe pressing on a nerve or something? Dr Scoliosis may be able to help. It saddens me to read also that she is not pain free yet! Hopefully this improves as well. I personally would ask more questions of the Surgeon concerned with her care - just to put you and your daughter at ease. Best wishes.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 AM

Thanks guys.

I have asked questions when we see the surgeon but I get the feeling he thinks he has done his job and isn't interested in anything else. When he examined her shoulder he just shrugged again and Said "no idea, oh well" and moved on.

We have been doing 2 sessions of hydrotherapy a week but in the last 6 weeks cut that back to one due to the fee increases making it out of our budget. After I explained that to the surgeon his suggestion was to do two or three sessions week... Not helpful.

I think you could be right about the pressure due to the neck curve might be causing this shoulder blade numbness as it is new it wasn't numb there after the surgery but is now. What can I do about it? Anyone know?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:17 AM

Hi Hobbs,

Just a thought, but, has he had follow up xrays to check on her fusion? Check that all the hardware is ok. If I had the numbness, my first approach would be to touch base with my GP, ask them if we need to do an xray to rule out any inpinged nerves in the neck (If thats where its coming from) and then see which avenue I could take - Chiro maybe - physio. Sometimes when I feel out of sorts with my back, especially after doing gardening, I have a remedial massage done and then apply some Zeng Shui, for me the relief is amazing! Hope you find some answers soon. Hobbs, are you from Adelaide? I am from Adelaide - PM me if you wish.
Best wishes.