Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Surgery

Old 09-06-2016, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Looking for advice

Thank you ladies for your reply. I am so sorry I did not get back earlier with comments...I have been meaning too but life gets in the way
I have got a surgery date which is the 13th September. In one way it was a relief that I was booked in but also a bit nerve racking as I start getting the letters from the hospital booking me in for various appointments. My latest one is to the Neurology department - pre-op scoli preparation. They are going to put recording leads on my scalp which I have to leave in over night. I'm not sure if my hair will be shaved or if I will be staying over night...so many questions to ask when I see my surgeon next.
Heathpal, you are interested in how I went with the Scroth lady. I had my second appointment yesterday and wow what an insight to my body. This (young) woman also has scoliosis, so she understands what we go through. She is highly accomplished and she did not try and change my mind about the surgery. She often meets up with some of the surgeons, so that she is and they are up-to-date with what each one is doing. What she is for me is preparing my body for the op. She has got me doing the opposite to what the other clinical pilate physios have been telling me to do. I feel so much better and hopefully will be stronger in the right areas. I will be seeing her after the op as well, so that I continue to build up the correct muscles. If you or anyone want more information please pm me.
Thank you again for all your wise words. I will keep you all informed about my progress leading up to the op. Bren
Old 06-09-2016, 03:32 PM

Hi Bren - are you still scheduled for your surgery on the 13th? If so, you must be dealing with the nerves this week. Keep us posted.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:56 PM

Hi Heather,
Yes, my surgery is still the 13th. So far until yesterday, I have been ok with it all, as though it was going to happen to someone else. I did this deliberately so that I would not panic or become anxious but yesterday it finally hit home and especially last night I woke up early and could not go back to sleep thinking of the surgery. I worked today and though I was tired it helped to keep my mind off the surgery.

Did others have to go through a lot of prep before the surgery? I've been given four days of this wash that will kill off any germs that might think of landing on my skin or hair. I also have to give myself an enema the night before . I also have to go to the hospital on Monday, the day before to have leads put on my head to be tested that everything is working, and another blood test. The leads/points have to stay on my head and they have recommended for me to bring a hat or a scarf for cover because I will go back home and then back in the morning.
It's a lot of prep and I can't wait for it to be all over...never thought I would say that

I saw my surgeon last Friday tho (last time before the surgery) and went over the sort of procedure he will be doing. He had a question mark on going in anterior and posterior - or just posterior - he gave me a choice. After explaining the length of time (very long) and what would happen going in both sides (not nice), I decided on posterior only. I won't get the biggest correction but it will stop the progression and I will recover a lot faster and that's fine with me. Sort of like you Heather After that appointment I actually felt quite confident, so maybe that's why my anxiety hadn't hit me. My hubby was there with me as well holding my hand and that helped heaps.

I will try my best to keep you all informed on my progress. Wish me luck Bren x
Old 09-11-2016, 12:10 AM

Bren!!!! I need to come here more often...

How was your surgery???? How is your recovery going?

Take care!
Old 26-10-2018, 03:38 AM

Hello Is anyone still around from this thread? I was hoping to hear some experiences of anterior vs posterior fusion in adulthood, and who your surgeon was in Melbourne (I am in Perth but travelling for the surgery) - please PM me if you're happy to share. I thought my surgery was going to be posterior but a second surgeon suggested anterior, which I don't want to be honest. Any advice would be great!