Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Surgery

Old 30-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Default Anterior vs Posterior surgical approach

Hi all,
I have just come back from my appointment with the surgeon. I thought the appointment went well, and I am planning to confirm my surgery date for around November this year.
The surgeon has suggested that I have an anterior approach surgery, rather than posterior as initially thought. He discussed the benefits of anterior approach including a shorter and better fusion, less blood loss, whilst having very similar risks as posterior.
I had already got myself set on posterior approach, and am somewhat overwhelmed with the prospect of having anterior approach. I understand the potential benefits, particularly less levels of fusion (T11-L3 vs T9-L5), however I am a bit scared of all that's involved in the process of getting to the vertebral bodies etc.
Can people who have had both let me know if their experience? Can those who've had anterior approach tell me if you have had any complications related to nerve damage? Particularly loss of sympathetic function (specifically sweating) in their feet? OR loss of sensation over the abdomen? OR anything else I may be unaware of?
Thanks in advance,
Marsha
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Anterior vs Posterior surgical approach

Hi Marsha,

I had both anterior and posterior surgery. The reason for this is that, my two discs L4/5,
L5/S1 were practically non existent and therefore there required two cages in these disc spaces. The anterior cut was down below my belly button and not very big at that. Kind of like a C-Section scar. Once the anterior was done, I was turned over and the posterior surgery was completed. Therefore, I have two cages, 16 screws and two rods. Previous to the anterior surgery, I was informed that I may experience some nerve damage in the form of one leg feeling warmer than the other. This did not happen. I did not have any loss of sensation over the abdomen. My fusion is from T11-S1. Apart from some little nigglys you get from time to time, I have had a succesful fusion and a very good recovery. If I had to do it over again - I would. Hope this helps you Marsha. If you have any other questions, please ask. Best wishes, RB
Old 01-05-2013, 02:27 PM

Hi Rodverta,
Thanks for your reply. The warmer feeling in the foot as a result of loss of ability to sweat is one of the potential side-effects of anterior approach that the Dr talked about. Sounds like your surgery went smoothly in that regard, and overall.
I am feeling very nervous about having surgery, but have decided to go ahead. Now I just need to make a decision re anterior vs posterior approach. I have 6 months to make my decision.
Thanks again,
Marsha
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM

Hey Marsha

I had posterior and anterior surgery is February this year, I posted a thread with my story recently if you want to read how it went for me. My surgery was successful but the majority of my pain now comes from my anterior section which was along my left rib cage and had to have one of my ribs removed. Though I've been told this pain is only temporary and we diminish after a few more months. It's not extreme pain so there's no need to worry, overall I think it's best to go with what the doctor thinks is best for you.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 PM

Congrats Jake, it sounds like you're doing well. I hope your rib pain diminishes quickly and you can enjoy the full benefits of this surgery.
Old 28-06-2013, 11:10 PM

Hey Jake, thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you are doing well. Keep it up!
Old 24-08-2013, 11:03 PM

Hi, I have had two scoliosis correction done in the past 2 years, 2nd one was only 4 weeks ago. My first surgery was done through my side and I did get some nerve damage from this in my left leg (same side as the surgery was done through). my skin was hypersensitive and felt like it was burning, over time this was gotten better as the nerve repairs itself, but I still get some pain in my leg from time to time.
My second surgery was done anterior and it went much better than my first. I have been able to walk a lot more and just generally feel better. I had to have a bone graft from my right hip, and this is the painful thing. I make it difficult to walk for too long, but the Dr said this can take a few months to heal. Dr also informed me that the nerve damaged the first time round was looking good, so fingers crossed my hypersensitive skin should be gone soon. One thing to watch out for is the wound opening after a period of time. Mine did in 2 places, i'm not sure if this is because I have been doing too much, or some other reason, just be mindful of this.
Old 26-10-2018, 03:32 AM

Hi all. Not sure if anyone is still around in this thread. I'm in the same position with anterior vs posterior surgery. Wondering if anyone had any advice or experiences to share?