Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 06-12-2012, 02:40 PM

Default 6 weeks post op!

Hi everyone,

My daughter had her 6 week post-op appointment last week, so I thought I'd update you all I've been reading all the posts on here lately about kids who have upcoming surgery and I know that it was other people's positive stories that gave me and my husband hope and strength, so I hope that this post can do the same for those of you on that horrible emotional rollercoaster that I know too well.

Our surgeon was thrilled with Madeleine's recovery and gave her the thumbs up for light running and light swimming. She can start back at physical culture (for those who don't know it's a combination of exercise and dance) in February, and contact sports around March/April.

The surgery was to correct an upper curve of 64 degrees, but she had a lower lumbar curve of 33 degrees also. The doctor's hope was that the lower curve would straighten up on its own once the upper curve was fixed, and he was right...Madeleine's latest xray showed that the 33 degree curve now only measures 11 degrees!!

We are walking for 45 minutes each day and although she was still walking quite crookedly in the beginning, her body has slowly straightened itself up and looks great.

The common thread to all the stories on here is how brave and strong our kids are...more than we may realise to begin with. Keep sharing your positive stories everyone...it makes such a difference!!

Helen
Old 06-12-2012, 05:07 PM

Default Re: 6 weeks post op!

Hi Helen
Great to hear all is going well. Have a very happy christmas.
Rosie
Old 06-12-2012, 09:10 PM

Wow, that is great news to hear Hellen. Our 12 year old daughter is going to Melbourne for her operation middle of January. The symptoms you described sounds very much like our ordeal. Victoria's curve is at 63, with a noticeable curve also at the bottom. Our surgeon is operating on the top half and says the bottom may adjust accordingly on its own, fingers crossed. It is great to hear positive stories and we are all praying that ours is the same. Thank you for sharing your experience. Brett, vics dad.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 AM

Hi Helen

Those lumbar curves are good at straightening out! I am so happy for your daughter, you all must be relieved it has gone so well and now she can start rebuilding her strength. I expect she is now looking forward to a wonderful summer ... oh to be a young girl again and not have scoliosis!!!

Christine x
Old 07-12-2012, 08:33 PM

Thanks for your support, friends Yes...relieved indeed. After all the scoliosis talk we finally feel like it's a thing of the past. Yay!!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 PM

Wow Helen Maddy sounds as though she is doing so well. I'm really happy for you all, it would feel like the weight of the world has been lifted. Candys pre-opp is next tues and got news today opp date is jan 29 th. Feel like we have something to plan towards now. Didn't realise Maddy did physie. So does candy, we just went to Sydney for nationals a couple of weeks ago, she made the semi, so excited and a bit sad at the same time . Your positive stories make me feel like we are doing the right thing