Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 08-07-2012, 08:12 PM

Default post op symptoms

Hi , my daughter is 10 days post op. Fusion T4 - T12 - had right thoracic curve. lShe is moving well and pain meds are keeping everything under control. Day 8 post of she developed tingling and slight numbness of arms. Surgeon did full neuro test and only light touch is changed. Day 9 she complained of a numb patch over front of left ribs. She had a big de-rotation done. Surgeon is not particularly worried although he did say the symptoms are unusual. Naturally I am concerned and would love someone to tell me that was what they/their child experienced and it went away.
If you have had any experience with this please reply. Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Default Re: post op symptoms

Hi Jane its Pina we met in hospital last week. Daniella is doing well and it has been two and a half weeks since her surgery. She had slght numbness on one side of her ribs at about day 8 and was really sore in the same spot for a few days. Her pain went away but now she has it on the other side. I have cut back on one of her meds but still taking endone every four hours. Hope your daughter is ok.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:59 PM

Hi my niece is about 2 and a half months post op (T spine fusion) and is doing great, you would never know looking at her that she has a big metal rod in her spine now!! she was about 8 or 9 days post when she started experiencing numbness and tingling and pain in strange locations! her doctors said it was all part of the process, they said so much has been shifted in side that it all takes some time to adjust and settle, they also said swelling can press on nerves causing the sensations, they have gone for her now, she still gets a bit of discomfort in her shoulder but it has improved significantly, all the best
Amanda
Old 11-07-2012, 05:31 PM

Hi, Amanda and Pina thanks for getting back to me. It was so reassuring to hear from you both. Pina I'm glad D is going well. I hope you have managed to get back some of the sleep lost in hospital. Sophie is doing well too and even complains that she is bored which I figure is a good sign. Fortunately her appetite is back big time now and it is now my mission in life to put back on the kilos that she lost...and maybe some more now that she is taller.
Take care both of you.
Jane
Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 PM

Hi Jane,

How is S going. Has the tingling and numbenss gone away and are you back in WA yet. Hope all is going wel.
D is doing ok but still feels really dizzy and sore when she gets up.