Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 01-08-2015, 04:06 PM

Exclamation Waiting list for Australia, Private or public

Hi, I have an appointment to see the Surgeon in November in Perth. I have another 9 months to wait on my private health insurance to claim for my spinal fusion. I know that the waiting list in Perth is a really long late so I am willing to travel anywhere in Australia to receive surgery if it is quicker in a different state.

I'm wondering if it would be quicker to go through the public system or wait the other nine months to receive my surgery through private insurance, and will the surgery be booked in nine months or do you think I will be on the waiting list AFTER my insurance has hit the 12 month mark?

Also, Has anyone gone to a different state within Australia to get there surgery done quicker, if so what state is the quickest and how long is the waiting list within those states?

I have dextroscoliosis curve of the mid thoracic spine from T5 to T9 (22 degrees) and a thoracolumbar levoscoliois curve that measures (37 degrees) from T10-L2.
And moderate T8-T10 facet joint arthropathy.

I am in a lot of pain and have severe breathing problems, I am very sick and bed ridden from the pain (even with pain meds) and am unable to work, so I am desperate need of surgery ASAP.

Thank you.