Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 AM

Default 5 and a half weeks to go

So, it's 5 and a half weeks until my spinal fusion surgery, the exact date in May 9th. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice for preparing for the surgery and then things that will help with my recovery too. Last time I had an x-ray was in about October 2012 and my curve was 68 degrees. So if anyone has any advice or tips they would be greatly appreciated

Georgia
Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 AM

Default Re: 5 and a half weeks to go

Try and stay calm.....keep busy, write a list, do your toe nails and shave your legs at the last minute as it will be a while before you can reach them again lol.
TAKE your mobile and keep it within reach....... in the middle of the night while in hospital, the door was shut and I awoke at midnight in pain and guess what I dropped my buzzer on the floor.....ikkkk what was I to do? I couldnt move at all. I was at the end of the corridore so no one could hear me. I reached for my phone, googled the hospitals number , rang switch, and said I was a patient and need help, so they rang the ward and the nurse trotted down.....phew all this with out my glasses.....kissed my phone. I would of other wise had a long wait until morning in pain etc.....Thank God for the phone....
Rosie
Old 03-04-2013, 06:51 PM

Smile Re: 5 and a half weeks to go

Hi Georgia,

It has been four weeks since my daughters spinal fusion, and she is feeling great and now back to school for a half a day. For hospital we forgot to bring socks so socks are good, we did not need many clothes but just some loose pjs and if have long hair plenty of hair ties, each day she felt better and better, the nurses were fantastic and helped when ever they could to make her feel comfortable. Take pain relief when you need it as it really does help with the recovery . I hope this helps and if you have any more questions or you wish to talk to her please let me know. Good Luck
Old 03-04-2013, 10:58 PM

Hi Georgia,
My suggestion would be to ask all your friends for promises to visit you when you get out of hospital and for weeks to come. It really helps that friends support you, especially weeks later when the excitement of hospital and surgery is over.
Your recovery will be as individual as you are so don't expect your timeline to be fast or slow, it will just be whatever you can do. Try to be patient and take it as it comes.
We will all be thinking of you,
Lizxx
Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 AM

Hi Georgia,
yes having your phone will be great and may enable you to have a conversation by text whebn things are a bit tough in the middle of the night. I think you are 15 or 16 if I remember rightly???? One thing that they say happens to all girls (whether due or not) is that they get a period about day 3-4 post surgery. They cannot explain why but the nurses said it happens every time so be prepared. it helps to have something special to look forward to post surgery - I bought my daughter a special recovery puppy and Evie made all the difference to my daughter's state of mind. As Liz said, friends will be your lifeline and doing some school work before you back to school helps to take you back into the real world. Take lots of DVDS you really want to watch to the hospital too. If you have long hair then plaits help as you will lie still for so long that matting is a problem.
Hope all goes well for you - 9 months down the track my daughter is swimming butterfly, diving, tumble turns etc and 4 minths after surgery she still got dux of Year 10.
Take care
Jane xx
Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for all of this advice and I'm sure it will come in handy. Since my Mum and I have to travel to Melbourne for the surgery (we live in Alice Springs) we are going down 4 days early to get my pre op tests and such done. I will make sure to pack my razor and some nail polish to keep me occupied the night before. My hair is fairly long, but luckily I can braid it so I think that will be the hair style of choice. Since we are traveling friends might be a bit difficult while we are in Melbourne, but once I get home (we think that will be about 2 and a half weeks post op) everyone has offered to come over visit which I'm sure will help a lot. Sounds like my phone will definitely be a life saver so I will make sure I remember to pack the charger since iPhones aren't known for their long battery. And Jane, yes I turned 15 in February so thanks for that advice and I'll make sure that I'm prepared My school is aware of my surgery and I have been offered private tutoring if I need it before returning to school and also to help me catch up. I will also be taking my laptop and I plan to take some easy movies to watch, even though I will be drugged up a fair bit.

Thanks again for all of the advice and I'm sure I'll be writing a panic post a few days before
Georgia
Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM

Does your mum have any support in Melbourne? Tell her to get in touch with us at the forum too. It will be hard for her if she is alone, you will just need her but she may need a few crutches! We travelled to melb too but my husband was there for the first 4 days and I had family in melb who would visit and take me away from hospital for a coffee or a meal at a local cafe in Richmond.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 PM

All the best for your operation in May Georgia, Victoria our 13 year old daughter is having her full spine fusion on 2nd May, so not far apart. It's nice to get some advice from others who have been through scoliosis surgery. All the best, will be thinking of you. Brett

Victorias spine is now at 84 degrees top, and 63 lower.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:03 AM

Hi Brett and Liz,

My Mum has some friends in Melbourne that she will be staying with while I am in hospital and I think my grandparents are going to come over for a few days too. My Dad will be there for the first 5 days I think, but after that he has to go back home for work. I wish Victoria luck with her surgery and hope that it all goes well. My curve was at 68 degrees back in September and I don't know the measurements for the ones I had in late November but by my surgery I can imagine that it will have increased.
Old 16-04-2013, 07:42 PM

Hi there, My 13 year old had her surgery 3 1/2 weeks and she is now feeling fantastic. I am amazed at the speed of her recovery. She was off all pain relief 10 days after surgery and returned to school this week for half days ... although she assures me she can last all day.
She barely remembers the week of the surgery. The only things I'd really recommend for the hospital stay is a lovely shower gel for when you finally get to have a real shower (it really cheered her up). I also needed to buy her some enticing food to try and encourage her to eat ... fruit smoothies and sushi were her first requests.
All the best with your pending surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery.