Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Archived questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis > List of questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis

Old 16-12-2014, 05:43 PM

Default Scoliosis and Migraine

Hi. I'm wondering if there is any connection between scoliosis and migraine headaches in particular, ocular migraines. When I get these visual disturbances I have a stiff neck and cramping type pain in my back muscles and shoulders. I also have a slight headache.

My GP says it wouldn't be my back, however I'm not too sure about that. My GP is sending me for a brain scan tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Scoliosis and Migraine

Thank you for your question. Scoliosis and headaches are both fairly common conditions, so it is not unusual for someone to have both. They are generally not related. However, in some individuals with scoliosis who get headaches at the back of their heads (occipital headaches), there is a rare association with what is known as an Arnold Chiari malformation. This is an abnormality in the way the base of the brain sits within the skull. It can lead to abnormalities in the flow of CSF (cerebrospional fluid) around the brain and spinal cord. In some people, their scoliosis may be caused by this problem. Occipital headaches may also occur. In others, it causes no problems at all.

An MRI of the brain will be able to show if an Arnold Chiari malformation is present.