Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Revision Surgery

Old 17-03-2014, 09:07 AM

Default Re: My rods are broken!!!!

Hi
Gee I hope you can get on top of this pain. How do they plan to fix the problem? Glad you posted this on the forum. I guess it will make us all aware that things can go wrong at any time and that's life. Thinking of you and please let us all know how you are going.
Rosie
Old 17-03-2014, 02:08 PM

Hi . Im so sad to hear what your going through. It must be very difficult but it sounds like your in good hands. This really makes me think twice when I push myself hard at work and at home . Thinking of you . Please let us know how your going. Kathy
Old 22-03-2014, 07:25 PM

Oh no, I can hardly believe what I'm reading. 5 years! You'd expect to be out of the woods! You said you had a bone scan - and that there was some "marker?" What does this mean? Oh dear, I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now. I'm shocked and so, so sad for you.

From reading the American forum for years, I know the surgery to remove the rods and put in shorter, new ones, isn't nearly the huge surgery it was the first time - and you know what to expect, but I'm just so very sorry you might have to go through this.

Best of luck Rodverta, and please keep us informed as you go along.
Old 27-03-2014, 05:26 PM

Hi Jen and Kathy. Hope you are both well.

Just an update for everyone. AFter work today, I went for my appoinment with Dr ...., he asked how I was doing as I was still walking slowly and gently. I said to him that it had become mentally challenging, as I could not sit, ly down or do much else for too long as the pain was unbearable. He said we could wait a while longer, but after what I had endured for the past week, I said that I would rather not. I am not able to sleep at night, I cant go for any new jobs as i dont know what could happen if I wait longer ( I am only working 10 hours a week at present - no other income) and I think the pain is causing me depression as well as I cry at the drop of a hat. I feel like everything is coming down on top of me at the moment. I just want to be painfree and move on with my life! I dont appreciate being on Endone etc for such a long time without getting anywhere. Dr said, he had a full list on Monday and we could wait the following week. I just could not bear another week. He said that was ok and that he would fit me in (I was only tentatively booked in). So, I have filled in the necessary forms and am now booked in for surgery. I asked him what I could expect. He said that while it was not the big surgery that it was initially, it is still classified as big surgery. He anticipates it will last between 2.5-3 hours. He will remove all hardware, crush the bone removed for my fractured level, replace the screws and replace the rods (shorter ones). I do not need to donate any blood but will be screened just in case we have to cross match. I will not need spinal cord monitoring. We will have cell saver on standby but he does not think we will need it. I will wake with a pain pump, oxygen mask and ?catheter. Next day in the morning (Tuesday), I will be helped up to move and walk around and if all goes well, I should be going home on Thursday. Fingers XXX.
Old 27-03-2014, 05:36 PM

Big hug to your surgeon for fitting you in and all the best to you for your surgery. Xxxx
Old 27-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Administrator

All the very best for your recovery RB.
Old 27-03-2014, 08:24 PM

Good luck Rodverta. Thinking of you. Hopefully you'll be back on track after next Monday and this nightmare will be a distant memory.
Marsha
Old 28-03-2014, 02:07 AM

Will be thinking of you.
Jane xx
Old 28-03-2014, 07:39 AM

Good luck with the surgery RB. Wishing you a speedy recovery xx
Old 28-03-2014, 05:11 PM

Best wishes, thinking of you Rosie