Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 20-12-2012, 11:56 AM

Smile I need information please!!

Hi guys
I joined this website because I've read all the other stories and it's provided me with some comfort, so I was wondering if I could get some advice for myself?
My name is Meg and Im 15 years old. Around 2 years ago I was diagnosed with scoliosis at around 43 and 45 degrees by my local GP. When I was referred to the hospital, I was told that surgery would be an option, but it was not recommended due to the risks, so I was put in a boston brace for a short 4 months. They were the most awkward months of my life! Anyways I returned in February 2012 to the hospital where I was told that the brace wasn't a success and I was given the option of surgery. Being scared that my curve would progress and I would increasingly become self conscious, I put my name down, but I was told I was a category 3 and the waiting list was 1-2 years. Over the next few months the pain became worse and worse along with the curve and I was admitted to the hospital a few times and had quite a few hours spent in emergency as I was desperate for some pain medication as I was unable to function. I ended up being put on endone and a strict regime of medication. Consequently, I missed numerous weeks of school with appts and my pain and I was unable to do my year 10 exams. My surgeon has been concerned with my amount of pain and has sent me to a geneticist, neurologist, MRI and bone scan, but nothing unusual was there. I was consequently moved up to a category 2 and my surgery was booked for the 14th December.. But shortly after I found out I was cancelled... Which was an awful feeling. After meeting with my surgeon again, he was absolutely fantastic and arranged the date for the 11th January, so I am quite excited that I'm not missing out on as much year 11 as I initially thought. My curve is now at 57 and 59 degrees.

So that's my background! Now I'm really excited for the surgery, but I'm also terribly scared.. Can someone please tell me ways to stay calm leading up to the surgery and especially on the day because I can tell that is going to be an issue? Also it would be great if someone could realistically run through the process of the surgery and recovery (how they felt) and the pain and numbness? What day you start walking and how to best to aid in my recovery (eg. exercise). Has anyone else had my level of pain, because apparently it is extremely rare. Tips for the drive home and ways to sleep at home comfortably? Is it realistic to expect that I'll be back at school full time after 4-6 weeks? Someone please just tell me as much as they know from experience- PLEASE!

Thanks,
Meg
Old 20-12-2012, 03:47 PM

Default Re: I need information please!!

Hey Meg,

I have sent you a private message

Helen
Old 20-12-2012, 04:04 PM

THANK YOU HELEN
Means a lot!
Old 20-12-2012, 05:28 PM

Smile Re: I need information please!!

Hi Meg, have also sent you a Private message. Brett
Old 20-12-2012, 09:07 PM

Hi Brett I can't seem to find your message? But I guess I am terrible at working this thing out.. But thanks I'm working on finding it!
Old 21-12-2012, 05:36 PM

+-
Hi meg, I have sent you a private message too.
Thanks
Jane
Old 21-12-2012, 10:03 PM

Hi Meags, where are you from?

If I find the thread which contains this info - I will let you know
Old 21-12-2012, 10:43 PM

Thank you Jane!!

And I am from Melbourne.
THANKS GUYS!
Old 22-12-2012, 07:38 AM

Hi Meags. You might like to do some searches through this forum, it's for under 18s with scoliosis. I'm sure you'll find loads of interesting information here. You can join too, but they are notoriously slow in allowing new members in (I waited about 2 months.)

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forum...php?98-Surgery
Old 13-01-2013, 04:27 PM

Thank you

I will try that now! I have extra time now because my op was postponed

Thanks!