Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 13-12-2009, 05:38 PM

Smile Lauren's home from hospital

HI Everyone,
Lauren came home from hospital after a her 8 day stay in hospital. I would say that her operation was a success, with no nasty complications arising.
Her recovery in hospital was slow and frustrating, but she remained quite strong throughout the whole ordeal. I ended up staying with her in the hospital as there was just so many things she needed help with. I was so glad that I could be there for her.
We are finding that she isn't as 'bed ridden' as anticipated, with her being able to sit up at the table for tea and at the tv/computer for short lengths of time.
Night time is the worst with the pain, as she gets very stiff and sore. Each night she wakes up every 3-4 hours needing more pain relief. She is getting fed up with that. (and I would like a good 8 hour sleep I must admit)
Lauren was so pleased to be able to see and talk to Gabby while she was in hospital. The girls could relate to what the other was going through, which I am sure comforted Lauren a great deal.
Lauren says that even after all she went through in hospital, if she had the choice again, she would still go through the surgery. This is good to know.
We'll keep you all updated on her progress.
Regards,
Judy
Old 14-12-2009, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Lauren's home from hospital

Good to hear surgery went so well. Best wishes for a smooth recovery and I hope you get a good night's sleep before too long, Judy!

Let us know her new curve size and how much height she's gained when you're able. (The exciting part!)

Hope Gabby's coming along ok now. Will the girls stay in touch?
Old 14-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Smile Re: Lauren's home from hospital

Hi Judy,
Congratulations on everything going so well. What pain meds is she on? I know that in hospital i complained about waking after four hours (overnight)
and they gave me Endone 5mg with two Panadol at 11pm usually, and that would see me through until 6am. Maybe check with your surgeon to see if he can come up with something.

Judy, so you don't get exhausted and run down, you should probably nap when she naps.

To Lauren,
All the best in a speedy and uncomplicated recovery. Sending you gentl hugs.
((((((Lauren))))))
Old 18-12-2009, 11:45 AM

Hi,
Lauren slept through the night last night. This is great! HOpefully it might continue. She isn't asking for pain meds as often as at first so now she is just taking the occasional Brufen and panadol. Wouldn't have minded keeping with the diagesic but have run out of those tablets and not sure if they can be bought without a script. Dr said to not use Endone for much longer as it affects the bowls, and not to use the Brufen for too long either as it doesn't encourage bone growth. Sort of limits the options then doesn't it?
Her shoulder blades seem to be giving her the most grief.
Did anyone else get left with a numbing sensation down the inner side of your arm? From little finger, up to armpit. Lauren mentioned it to Dr who said it was just from sleeping on it.....but we don't believe that one. Hopefully it will improve in time.
She has gained approx 2.5cm. Not sure what her new curve is, but certainly not much. Now she has to remember keeping her head and the rest her body straight after all the time it has been crooked.
Thanks for all your well wishes and the gentle hug. I have to keep remembering when we have our hugs. I used to always pat her on the back when we hugged, so now it is just her arms I pat.
Bye for now,
Judy
Old 18-12-2009, 03:09 PM

Hi Judy,
Good to read that all seems to be going well. She will recover even faster if she can get a whole 6-8 hours sleep in one go. With regards to the digesics, i don't think they are available OTC, but if she is not often asking for pain relief, i would kick the Endone, Digesic etc and only keep on hand Panadeine Xtra and Panadol. Panadeine being for pain alittle stronger than Panadol can handle. Keep us posted.
Old 18-12-2009, 07:24 PM

That's great news about Lauren's recovery. Sleeping through the night is a big step and will help enormously. Hope she can keep that up.

I agree, if she's not asking for much pain relief, do try Rodverta's suggestion. If she can avoid the big guns, she won't become dependent. But of course if Panadeine isn't enough, then your GP should be able to help with something stronger.

You must be mightily relieved, Judy!