Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 16-12-2010, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Countdown to surgery

Hi Jen, I have a couple of questions for you please. Charlotte seems to swing her hips when she starts to walk. (Which makes her look unnatural) Then, when she has walked around for about 5-10 mins she stops that and moves naturally. Can you remember doing that? She tells me she does not realise she is doing it! Also, she has been complaining of pain on one side of her lower back that is not related to the implant. Did you get anything like that?
Old 17-12-2010, 02:51 PM

Glad to hear both surgeries have gone well for Dom and Charlotte.

Just wondering how much taller Dom has gotten?

Mazs I am also a heartkid mum and i bet your heart skipped a beat when her heartrate went down. Keep us update on how the cardiology review goes.
Old 18-12-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazs View Post
Hi Jen, I have a couple of questions for you please. Charlotte seems to swing her hips when she starts to walk. (Which makes her look unnatural) Then, when she has walked around for about 5-10 mins she stops that and moves naturally. Can you remember doing that? She tells me she does not realise she is doing it! Also, she has been complaining of pain on one side of her lower back that is not related to the implant. Did you get anything like that?
Sorry Mazs, I don't have experience with either of those. I would say her walk has to do with new placement of muscles etc. Perhaps a post to Dr. Scoliosis may shed some light on it. It doesn't sound serious to me, since she reverts to a natural gait fairly quickly. How low is the pain in her lower back?
Old 19-12-2010, 04:32 PM

Hi Jen, Charlotte's pain is lower down in line with her hip.
Her mobility is getting better every day. That funny walk she had a few days ago seems to have disappeared. The dizziness she was experiencing is few and far between now.
We were Xmas shopping this morning and she saw a pair of shoes with high heels. She was very disappointed when I advised her she cannot wear those for around 12 months!
I keep wondering how Dom is doing.
Old 20-12-2010, 11:15 AM

Glad to hear Charlotte is walking better now. It's amazing how many odd things that can't be explained at the time, appear then disappear during those early weeks/months. Did Charlotte have bone taken from her hip, or have iliac bolts into her pelvis? I can't explain the hip pain, but fingers crossed, it too, will come right by itself. Best of luck!

Hopefully Dom is doing well.
Old 20-12-2010, 09:43 PM

Hi Everyone,
Sorry been meaning to catchup but the days just disappear. Dom is doing really well thanks, amazing how resilient these kids are. Will backtrack a bit as not sure where we were. Surgery only took five hours instead of expected 6-8 (what a relief). No accurate measurements yet but curve has gone from 62+degrees to about 15, he has grown from 170 to 175cms (I have to stretch to dry his hair). He had a few really bad days in hospital and didn't manage a shower until day 6 with central line coming out the same day. Nausea and low blood pressure held him back until then, also had a really sore knee (we later found out was because of the muscles stretched when straightening him). Walked without a frame that day too and hasn't looked back. Sitting was a bit harder but managing that well now too -motivation being able to play computer games with his brother! Day 10 saw us coming home, he took morphine for two and half hour car trip home at my insistence, great trip home and has only had panadol since and that rarely.
Now managing to get himself in and out of bed (dizzy at times when he forgets he can't do things the same), toilet and chairs. I am just drying his back and helping him on with pants (a lot for a 15 year old boy to cope with his mum doing). Have made physio appointment for Wednesday for them to check what he is doing and give some hints on best ways (hospital were hopeless). He looks so beautiful and straight, it is like he is now in the right body (if you ignore his chest!). I am so proud of him and how he has coped, as sick as he was there was only one day where we had to ask him to talk and at least move his arms. Every other day he was so positive and isn't it the greatest gift when you get their first real smile?
Has had a great time catching up with friends since he got home and eating junk to make up for the 3.5kgs he lost in hospital.
Hope everyone is doing well and has a peaceful, happy Christmas
Annette
Old 21-12-2010, 09:33 AM

So happy to hear from you.
Brilliant to hear all has gone so well. I told my 13 yr old daughter who will be having the surgery in a matter or months if not sooner....and she was excited to hear a total of 5 cm!!!! Jasmine took a piece of string and placed it over her curved spinal xray then straightened it to discover she will hopefully grow around 4-5 cm!!! for her that is a great incentive. We have been told that her curves will be brought back to approx 30 degrees so as Doms is back to 15 degrees that is fantastic!!!
You must be so glad the surgery is all over and done with!
Best of luck
Louise
Old 23-12-2010, 01:56 PM

Great news Annette, thanks for letting us know. It's always nice to hear another safely over to *this* side. Now relax and enjoy a happy Christmas.
Old 17-01-2011, 07:49 PM

Hi Everyone,
Another progress report. Hard to believe we are at this point. Dominic is doing just great, physio is really happy with how he is doing things and he is so happy to be doing everything like dressing independently- though getting on shoes and socks is still a challenge! His bone graft scar still gives him a little discomfort and he has some numbness in different patches, but hasn't had painkillers for weeks and is sleeping and eating well. So good.
We have his check up on Thursday which we are all looking forward to and will have lots of questions about what he can do at school. I still want to wrap him in cotton wool but he is enjoying holiday sleepovers etc, making the most of what he can do but aware of his limitations (and his mother's neuroticness!)
Thanks to everyone for helping us through
Annette
Old 18-01-2011, 09:15 PM

testing 1 2 3 - just for someone having trouble getting her post out there. Hahahahah - you KNOW who she is, doesn't she Annette!!!!! LOL!!!!