Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Archived questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis > List of questions and answers from Dr Scoliosis

Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 PM

Default lumps & bumps

Hi Dr S,

After getting pathology, showing growths in May. We have got lumps, and bumps on scar-line already. After 18 months of infection, we tend to ignore it, as theres nothing, we can do? And worrying about it, wont change the situation? Unless it gets purple and opening, theres not a lot we can do? We went on anti-biotics for 2 months ages ago, when it was really ugly. I would just like to know the statistics, of carrying infection, from growing rods, to definative fusion? Is there any? And what is your experience on this? This information would be most helpful. Our next surgery is November. Thanks Tracy
Old 07-08-2012, 09:41 AM

Default Re: lumps & bumps

Growing rods, as previously posted, have a higher complication rate than definitive spinal fusions.

Infections are a serious complication in both types of surgery. If growing rods become infected, the options for treatment are antibiotics - either orally or intravenously, in combination with:

1. Surgery to wash out the infection. Repeated operations are usually needed.

2. Surgery to remove the rods and wait for the infection to clear. The rods will be replaced at a later time.

Blood tests and other investigations are used to confirm that the infection has been cleared. However, these tests can be normal, but the infection can reappear months, or even years later. The infecting bacteria can lie dormant on the spinal implants and then become active, restarting the infection. Therefore, if there has been a history of infected growing rods, there is a higher risk of infections occurring in later spinal fusions.

At the time of final fusion surgery, various tests can be made before and during surgery, looking for evidence of hidden infection. In addition, antibiotics may be given for weeks or months after the operation to lower the risk of recurrence.

It is not possible to quote statistics in your child's situation, as the risk depends on many variables. It is important that you discuss your concerns with your child's treating surgeon.

Dr Scoliosis
Old 07-08-2012, 11:22 PM

Thankyou Dr S, You have been most helpful, on several issues, we have had. Its really quite difficult, as a parent, dealing with this. but we do the best we can, for our kids. I would like to ask, how many growing rods you have done? Is it 1, 10 or hundreds? Because, I seem to get the feeling, theres not many? And its a trial & method issue? Our surgeon is fantastic!!!! And we keep sending him challenges. And he is so professional, thats why our daughter wanted him, to take care of her, as her surgeon. She had 3 choices, and kids know best, she said, if I have to do all this. I want Dr x

Chers

Tracy
Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 PM

Hi Dr S,

We have had every suggestion known to mankind, given to us over the last 2 years, physio, pillates, yoga, chiro, bowan therepy, which all have their place, and can be helpful, but not to fix a 59 degree curve in a 9 year old? This is all well-meaning advice, by parents, just trying to help. Recently accupuncture, was suggested, for infection? Would this help? But today, sunlight was suggested, by a very experienced registered nurse, whose a family friend. Our daughter spends a lot of time swimming and at the beach. Just wondering if theres any truth in sunlight? Should we ditch the rashshirt, using plenty of sunblock, and give it a go?

Thanks again
Tracy
Old 09-08-2012, 07:50 PM

Sunlight contains ultraviolet (UV) rays. These are toxic to some bacteria. UV light can be used to sterilise some equipment in hospitals. It only works as surface agent - that is, it is effective only where the light can be shone. It has no effect on infections below the skin. Therefore, it is not useful for deep infections such as those around a spinal rod.

Regarding acupuncture, there is no scientific evidence that it has a role in the treatment of deep infection.

Dr Scoliosis
Old 09-08-2012, 09:18 PM

Hi Dr S,

Thankyou for your reply...I should have known better, than to get my hopes up? What I find weird, is the infection presents different every time? The first time, it was a big lump on scar-line, that went purple & weeped. The wound opened up. Second time, no sores? And this time theres lumps everywhere? So I kinda dont know whats going to happen with this one?? Jeez, where is the manual to this? Is this normal? We have awesome community nurses, locally, who come and dress daily, when it was bad. But from what you said about infections laying dormant? Thats quite scary!!! If we had not done surgery, our daughter could be at 90 degrees by now? We have never looked back, as shes down to 24 degrees, and can walk straight. The infection, a curved ball, that we are used to, we will keep catching. And life would be very boring without challenges.

Thanks Tracy