Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Revision Surgery

Old 09-04-2014, 07:59 PM

Default Re: My rods are broken!!!!

Hi Rodverta. Good to hear you're able to take such a long walk.

How curious, what the Dr at the hospital said. I hope you can get an explanation when you see your surgeon for follow up. Will that be in a month post-op?

Take very good care. xx
Old 10-04-2014, 12:42 AM

I have an appointment in mid May for post op follow up. I always forgot to ask him regrding the bloods in hospital. I will make a note of it though to ask at the followup. I feel as if I could go back to work, short days of course, but I think I may lap it up for at least one more week. I hope all is well with you. I saw on the news tonight that there is a cyclone? heading your way. Please take care. Regards RBxx
Old 11-04-2014, 08:10 PM

Fortunately it's about a thousand ks North of here, but we'll likely get a swamping in about a week, which usually happens after a cyclone hits land up North.

Well, maybe write a list of things to ask and keep it handy and whenever you think of something, write it down, that way you'll come away with all your answers. I could never rely on my memory and these appointments are too precious to waste!
Old 25-04-2014, 08:40 AM

How are you feeling, Rodverta?
Old 25-04-2014, 11:52 AM

Hi Jen, I am feeling really good. I am experiencing though little 'grittys' that i did not experience the first time around. What I have found also, is that, the numbness we all complain about (mine did not seem to go away after the first surgery) is not there now and I am feeling 'like little electric shocks' as if the ?nerves are waking up. I have been off the Endone and Osteo for a week now and yesterday, I was cleared to drive.. although I had already driven three times during the week (because I had to). Surgeon cleared me for work next week as well (he knows the Physician I work for and its only Medical Reception - nothing heavy). I have to observe the usual things no bending, twisting and lifting anything for another couple of weeks and then no lifting more than 5kg for a while. I am only allowed short hours for the next two weeks and then ease into normal hours. The recovery guidelines for Revision Surgery were the same guidelines I was given for the original surgery, only that this time around I had 'the power of knowledge' as you say, eg: how to avoid constipation on when taking narcotics, prep your protein packed meals in advance etc.
Did you get my PM?
Hope you are well, take care RB
Old 27-04-2014, 03:38 PM

Hi Rodverta - so glad to hear you are doing so well.
Old 28-04-2014, 11:05 AM

Thankyou Heather. I was mean't to go back to work today for a couple of hours but am totally exhausted after the weekend. I am very lucky that the Doctor I work for gives me the flexibility I need and is very understanding. I am not pulling a sickie either, just gave him the truth. I had my nephews 21st on Saturday and didnt get home until 3am Sunday morning. (When I had my initial surgery, I attended his twin sisters 21st at about 6 weeks post op!) You think you're ok and can take on the world and then wham your body lets you know about it. His theme was 80s rockstars and I went as Blondie. He said to me 'auntie can you dance?', I said 'no I am not allowed to", then he says ' can you shuffle a little', me 'maybe just gently', so then he says ' alright then, we can do the Time Warp and Thriller, thats low impact!'. Yesterday, I attended a Food Event in the city with my daughter as i was determined to get there as I have been trying to get to this event for 6 months (its only on once per month). We arrived home at about 5pm and I was totally spent.

Entry for the 'Vali' research book:

'patients need to be aware of and observe that, the feeling of being able to take on the world may purely be masked by the fact that, they have been following the correct protocol of recovery ie: walking everyday, sitting for short periods, no B.L.T, sleeping often and eating well and doing very little else!' Dont be fooled by this and listen to body.

Hope you are doing well Heather - have a great day!
Old 28-04-2014, 07:47 PM

Hi Rodverta,it's good to hear that you have got through the revision surgery and are recovering with such style! I must say when I read your post that your rods were broken it scared me like you wouldn't believe and made me realise that I must take care of my back for ever. Thanks for sharing.
Looking forward to hearing how you are progressing ... Lorraine
Old 29-04-2014, 12:31 AM

Thanks Lorraine, I can honestly say that I am coming along nicely, although I had doubts especially the first 1 1/2 days after surgery which were a nightmare. I thought the pain would never end. Like I said a few posts back, I was afraid to post this initially, as I did not want to scare anyone, however after thinking about it, felt that I needed to, just because it is part of what can happen. I am sure that everyone does the right thing regarding protecting their newly fused spine, however, we all need to 'live a normal life' only a little more gentle than unfused folks! Best wishes, RB
Old 29-04-2014, 04:21 PM

Just read your PM and replied.

Take good care Rodverta!