Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 28-08-2013, 09:18 PM

Default What do Mum's do?

Hi All,
I haven't been on for a while as we have been waiting for Miss16's surgery date.
At this stage we have been told the end of October so time to start planning.....
I am curious to know what roll the Mum's played at the Hospital and did they stay on the ward or elsewhere?
And is there anything you think I should know or do?
Cheers,
Kelly
Old 29-08-2013, 08:07 PM

Smile Re: What do Mum's do?

Hi Kelly,
It's all very fresh in my mind, as my son is 10 days post-op. He had the surgery last Monday and came home on Sunday.
His first night was spent in ICU and we went home late that night, returning early in the morning. From then on in, I was with him 24/7 throughout his stay in hospital. He had a room to himself (private patient) and I had a sofa bed at the side of the bed. There was very little sleep going on for either of us the first few nights due to meds being administered, obs by the nurses and needing to roll him regularly from his back to his side etc. Once the nurse had rolled him a few times and showed me how to help him, I took over that side of things.
The physio visited on day 2 and had him sitting up for the first time, day 3 he took his first steps with a frame and day 4 he was walking without the frame. The physio only visited twice a day, so I was helping him get in and out of a chair and walking with him a few times a day. The nurses were there when needed but encouraged me to be hands on, which is what my son wanted too.
Good luck with the surgery and feel free to ask any questions that come to mind
Old 29-08-2013, 08:20 PM

Default Re: What do Mum's do?

My daughter was fused T4-L1 just over 11 weeks ago.
We left the hospital while she was in surgery, went and picked our other children up from school, came home, had dinner and waited for the call from the surgeon to say he was finished.
Once she was in intensive care, we went back to the hospital and spent a couple of hours with her before coming home. Back in early the next morning. She was moved to the ward at about 11am.
From then until she was discharged five days after surgery, either my husband or I was with her the whole time. My husband did the nights.
I had to help her get out of bed, go to the toilet, shower etc for the first few days. Even once home, we needed to help her turn in bed at night and shower for a few days.
The time went VERY quickly and she recovered incredibly fast. Can't quite believe how she is now, not even three months later.
Good luck with it. We had an overwhelmingly positive experience and wish you the same.
Old 29-08-2013, 09:13 PM

Thanks ladies, this has given me a much better idea of what I am in for. As we live 3 hours away from the hospital I think we will be organising accommodation for my husband and I near the hospital and take it in turns who looks after her and stays on the ward. Have to think about what my other daughter will do as well as she hates missing school but will want to be there for her sister.
I am thinking of taking 2 weeks off work and then my husband can care for her through the day and I can help her in the evenings, do you think this will be enough?
Kelly.
Old 29-08-2013, 10:19 PM

My husband and I had a week off together then he went back to work and I had. further three weeks off with our daughter. My husband then took another two weeks off but I only because it was school holidays by then and one of us would have taken time off anyway.
Two weeks should be fine if your husband can be around for a couple of weeks after that.
Hope that helps! Feel like we've learnt a lot over the past 11 weeks so happy to share experiences if it helps.
Old 30-08-2013, 10:48 AM

My husband and I had the week of surgery off with the expectation we would share the load. In reality, my son only wanted me around for the first few days post-op so my husband visited during the day and was at home at night for our other son. I have taken 3 weeks off work and my husband will then be off for 2 weeks - that takes us up to the school holidays when I'll be off anyway. Although its early days yet, we're expecting our son will be back at school at the beginning of term 4 but this may be part- time at first so will need help getting to and from school ( he normally has a 20 min walk plus train journey so we're not sure how he'll cope with that). Our son was also medicated out for the first few days and didn't want visitors around until 4 days post-op and even then 30 mins was enough. He spent a lot of time in hospital asleep. Once we got home he began to progress rapidly. Yesterday was the first day he hasn't slept during the day. He is walking around the house and up/down stairs well and walks about 250m comfortably.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 PM

Ok what about the pain, were your children hard to get along with because of the pain and being tired and grumpy?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 PM

Yes he was tired and grumpy for the first few days post-op, particularly when he transferred to oral meds from the button. He really didn't want anyone talking to him, or even us talking to someone else in the room. In reality he slept most of the time until day 4 post-op. Now he is home and the meds are pretty settled, his sense of humour has returned and he is much happier. He can roll himself over in bed and now spends most of his time during the day sat up (once we found a chair he could sit in). He is now 2 weeks post-op and managing his pain pretty well - the main pain he is getting is from his ribs after rather than his spine which apparently is quite common. He is still taking OxyContin as his main med with top ups of tramadol when needed - once a day at the most usually as he'd rather have a little pain than feel the effects of too many drugs.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:40 PM

My daughter was very sleepy for the first few days but wasn't too grumpy at all. She took endone for the last time the day she left hospital, four days after her surgery. She then just took Panadol as needed but wasn't taking much at all pretty quickly after that. She also did not like the way the strong painkillers made her feel, so was happy to put up with a bit of pain (she has a very high pain threshold).
She was happy to have her friends and family visit her in hospital. It is amazing how quickly they recover.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 AM

His ribs are sore after the thoracoplasty - missed that word out in my post above!