Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 13-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Default 5 days to go...really worried

Hi everyone,

as some of you know my 15yo is having surgery on the 18th, they will be fusing t5 to t12, the surgeon answered all our questions, one of which really concerns me. I asked if they had an incidence of paralysis, and surgeon said yes, didnt elaborate as daughter was present, but said that it was 1 in 2000 and there was more risk and concern about the risk of infection and effects of anasthesia. Now I am really freaking out!! Even the smallest risk is overwhelming, Do I leave her crooked with a 55degree thoracic curve and 44lumbar both progressing or take the risk and hope that her life will be better forever? What to do?? I'm so close to cancelling the surgery, even though I know she needs it. MY daughter is fine with proceeding but I'm going insane.

Sue
Old 14-01-2011, 05:09 PM

Default Re: 5 days to go...really worried

Hi Sue,
I just posted to your previous post!!!

Go ahead with the surgery..... believe me, I have talked to sooo many adults and it's a much bigger / recovery period for them. Plus what is so fantastic, is the surgeon is only going to T12. This means no lumbar involved!!! That is great news!! If you can avoid the Lumbar area all the better in my opinion!!!

Paralysis - don't freak out!!! They use continuous spinal cord monitoring through the whole procedure!!! Yes, more danger in effects from Anaesthesia He's the guy you should be having a long chat with!!!! People can die for an appendectomy if they have adverse effects to the anaesthesia, so really don't stress.... they HAVE to give you the "this could happens" - it's the law to advise you of the risks with any surgery!!! She's young, strong, fit, healthy 15 year old, please listen to my words..... ICU one day.... and you think "what have we done"..... 1 week later walking around and smiling!!! Trust me!!!! The worst part is the anxiety before the surgery.... it was horrendous for me.... I couldn't believe how quickly Elysia got well, (first time around - second time, not so speedy, but she's now getting there)

Hugs to you both
Del
Old 14-01-2011, 06:11 PM

HI Del,

havent read the other post yet, I'm finding that I really need the support, so thank you. I spoke to my daughter about it yesterday too, and she said ''mum if it happens it happens being worried isnt going to change what will be'', who's the adult here

we are going ahead, I know this is necessary. we've organised a huge picnic for sunday if the weather lets up, so now we have something to look forward to and also keep us busy.

i'm so glad your daughter is ok, i hope it continues to be smooth sailing for you.

regards Sue xx
Old 17-01-2011, 08:38 PM

Hi Sue,
I too have just posted to your other post, so forgive the repetition. What you are feeling is pretty normal, I remember just before Dominic's surgery "calmly" saying to myself "I will just pick up the phone and cancel". I couldn't get over the feeling of what I was doing to him, rather than thinking of it being a necessary and good decision. I thought I put on a calm front but Dominic would give me a hug and pat me on the back, poor kid. The doctors have to go through all the odds, but it is pretty horrendous to listen to. Remember that they have a full team looking after her.
What about you? Hope you have good support in hospital, make sure you take any chance you can to have a shower, eat, sleep etc you won't be any good to anyone if you if you don't look after yourself.
Take care
Annette
Old 17-01-2011, 08:40 PM

PS. Hope you have a lovely picnic on Sunday, it is good to do something special beforehand
Old 17-01-2011, 11:31 PM

Annette we had a wonderful picnic on sunday, someone above gave us the sunshine and together with about 40 loved ones we enjoyed the day. We have a very large extended family and I was touched that everybody made time to be with us, it was like christmas. DD is very positive and not showing any signs of fear and I'm just taking her lead, my husbands not doing too well though, he's not used to hospitals but I'm sure he'll be better once the surgery is over.

best wishes to you and family

Sue xx
Old 18-01-2011, 09:59 AM

Hi Sue,
Glad you had a wonderful day on Sunday, nice when family are supportive and it is great for the kids to get to do something special. My husband was hopeless beforehand, think we were lucky to be speaking before Dom went into surgery! It was only when we got the call to say he was out and in ICU that he let it all out. Thank goodness we at least talk. Dom was amazingly calm when we were waiting to go in to surgery, he almost had a bit of excitement that it was all happening at last. Hopefully DD will keep that same calmness.
Thinking of you and DD
Annette xo
Old 18-01-2011, 12:54 PM

Thinking of you, and feeling scared reading all the posts, I find out in July if my 16yrs needs surgery, so I try not to think of anything too serious at this stage, my daughter also really wants the op. Good luck to you and family, cant wait to hear you say it was all worth it. kim
Old 19-01-2011, 09:29 AM

Wow it's over! Hope all went well Sue!
Old 20-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Hi Sue

Hope all has gone well and your surgeon got a great correction!! Thinking of your family, the waiting is the worst!! All the best for a speedy recovery!!
Cheers
Tracy