Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 14-01-2011, 05:21 PM

Default Re: help in melbourne please

Hi Del

You made me laugh about the surgeons! Ours is very nice, we were the first patient on the day, armed with my loooong list, the surgeon went through everything and infact answered most of my questions along the way, for the second time mind you, always patient and understanding. We were in there for over an hour and I was really starting to feel bad for all the people waiting. As we were leaving though surgeon says, so I'll see you in a couple of weeks! Ha, surgery is in 7 days silly! I think we tired poor dr out ) Another thing, our surgery is the second one on the day and I couldn't help asking if they would be fatigued from the first. They must think I'm nuts.

Daughter is in year 10 this year, I can't see her going on the first day, I've left it to her to decide when she is well enough.

I'm so glad for you that Elysia is bouncing back, once is bad but the second time around, poor you! Hopefully this is the end of surgery days for all of you.

hugs to you also
Sue
Old 17-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Hi Sue

Our school would not let Emily go back to school without a medical certificate 1 month after surgery. She was only in year 4 last year and the full month off was needed for her to re-gain her strength. All kids are different though? Hope all goes well. Thinking of you guys.

Cheers Tracy
Old 17-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Hi Sue,
You must be close to going in so just wanted to let you know I will be thinking of you and your daughter. Glad you had a good appointment with your surgeon and feel more confident. Re her being second on the list - Dominic didn't go in to theatre until 5pm which had me pretty worried but remember they are the experts and are used to the long hours.
The first few days will be really tough and you will probably question your decision to have the surgery, but remember she will improve quickly once she gets through the initial bit, as you will have seen with all our kids - we are left floundering in their wake!
Sending you both lots of good thoughts and let us know how she got on when you get the chance.
Annette
Old 17-01-2011, 10:24 PM

Hi Tracy and Annette,

firstly Tracy, I can't see my daughter going to school 2 weeks post op, but like you said they are all different, we will see how she feels.

Annette I'm so glad you told me that Dom went in at 5, now I know what to expect, it will be a very draining day I think. Thanks for your well wishes, I will be at the hospital for a few days, but will have to come home for a shower at least so I'll try to post then. Good on Dom too, what a trouper!

regards
Sue
Old 19-01-2011, 07:46 PM

Hi sue ,
I sent you a private message. Sorry been away on holidays so havent been on the computer . Hope all has gone well with your daughter. Kathy
Old 16-02-2011, 10:19 PM

Hi Sue
Just wondering how you got on with the stairs after your daughters surgery. They have indicated that Laura will probably be able to manage the stairs to her bedroom but thinking of poor mum lol and she will go into the spare bed downstairs alongside us. They also mentioned probably 6 weeks before she can go back part time to school and then it would be a good idea she has a buddy to carry her books etc: and that they leave 5 mins before the bell tipping everyone will want to be her buddy. I suppose they all recover differently.
Lyn
Old 17-02-2011, 09:46 AM

Hi Lyn
I've emailed you already, but in regards to stairs, we had no problems at all, I went behind her going up and in front coming down for about a week after we came home and then she was doing it all on her own, slowly ofcourse. It's now just over 4 weeks and she's going up and down just like she did before the surgery. We were given the same advice about school, but she's going back already. Started yesterday, and was there for about 3 hours but had a lie down in sick bay for 30mins. She is there again today, we had planned for the morning only but they have school photos so she will call me when they are finished. We plan for her to go for a few hours/half days for a few weeks and see how she goes. Her friends are carrying books, she gets side door access to the canteen will not be participating in sport for a while and goes to sick bay whenever she needs, Hasn't needed cushions or table raised at this stage, but I'll keep you posted with progress. A classmate of hers had scoli surgery a few years ago and is still using cushions, so the school is well aware of the situation.
regards
sue
Old 26-02-2011, 08:16 PM

Don't stress about school.
My sister missed all of year 9 and went on to dux year 10.
Resiliant and tough kids can get through anything!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:23 PM

Hi Louiseb
I'm so impressed with your sister, congratulations to her and thanks for your reassurance, I'm slowly realising that things will sort themselves out eventually. My daughter has been to school a few half days so far and two full days this week so we are on the right track, although she has had some pain these days, maybe it's still too early? We have a 6 week appt next week so we'll see some new xrays and speak to her surgeon.
cheers
Old 09-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Hi Sue,
How did the six week check up go? Hope results were good and school is starting to settle in now too. Laura was doing well to be back even for a few hours so early. Sounds like the school are really in touch with her needs which makes it much easier for anxious parents! I think we were lucky with Dom that he had all the Christmas holidays to recover so we didn't have to decide. So hard to let them back into the world without being able to walk protectively with them. Every day she will get stronger, then it becomes a case of holding them back a little.
Cheers
Annette