Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 24-11-2013, 07:40 PM

Thumbs down pain, doctors and sad faces

Scoliosis gets the better of me.

Firstly, has anyone received a brace after surgery (I didn't have the high taylor and i'm wondering if there's still a chance to be braced if your curve increases or what not).
Secondly, the pain is killing me. I'm sorry Mum that you have to put up with an extra moody teenager but I promise I'm an angel without pain. Scoliosis effects my mood severely and I don't know how to get rid of the pain.
Thirdly, I'm doing duke of Ed and so is my friend who's in a boston brace but we can't really do the camp for it because of our scoliosis, it's pretty depressing.
Fourthly, my body is hideous haha my scar is so visible and long and gross. And I can like pop my shoulder now that I've had surgery? It's weird and of no relevance.
Fifthly, I'm not looking forward to holidays as I can't do much and will probably spend all day every day curled up in bed eating chocolate and watching movies.
Sixthly, I wish everyone all the best in their scoliosis effected lives as it can get the better of you sometimes but everyone needs to remember that after you're through this it's probably the biggest thing you'll go through and many will admire you for you strength.

Stay strong my friends
Old 30-11-2013, 12:29 PM

Default Re: pain, doctors and sad faces

Oh Pippa, I'm sorry that it's getting to you so much. My daughter has scoliosis but not bad enough for surgery & is currently wearing a boston brace.
I don't have any answers to your questions but upon reading your post thought I'd post that I'm sure your mum understands that your pain & likely medication are making you moody.
It's good to have a rant every now and then but stay strong and ask for help if you need it from family and friends.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:46 PM

Hi Pippa, I hope there's a little more light at the end of your tunnel since your last post. My son is 3 months post-op now, and fortunately didn't need to wear a brace which has been a godsend. I can only imagine how surgery plus a post-op brace must impact on your life. Time is a wonderful healer. As parents, we are in awe of the strength of character that scoliosis patients on this forum have shown - you are all amazing. Keep strong, smile and laugh at the small things, massage your scar with Bio Oil and know that, as each day passes you are a step closer to living without the pain of scoliosis and enjoying life again.
Keep smiling
Old 03-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Thanks everyone
Everyone always forgets or gets angry if I ask them to do things for me, it's sad to say I don't have a lot of support with this but every day is a day closer to how things used to be.
Thank you all for your input
Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 AM

When did you have your surgery Pippa? Are you still taking meds?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:16 PM

Hey MAB, I had surgery on the 27th of June this year, I'm not on any meds but hopefully at my appointment they can put me on something stronger than panadol or at least do something to stop the pain
Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 AM

Hi again Pippa,
I hope you find some answers at your follow up appointment as to why you are still experiencing pain, as that sounds very different to so many other stories on here. Rest assured it does get better - at 3 months post-op, my son is back to normal apart from limitations set by the surgeon re. sports and physical activity. He no longer has any pain and has just a small area of numbness left near his ribs. It's different for everybody, and each and everyone of the scoliosis patients I read about deserves a medal - you are all amazing with an unbelievable amount of strength to get over this hurdle you have all been through. Keep strong