Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Brace management

Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 PM

Default Anyone else on here with a toddler in a boston brace?

I'm looking to connect with other parents who have or have had a toddler in a boston brace.
My daughter is 3 and has been wearing one for 6 months.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Anyone else on here with a toddler in a boston brace?

Hello Lulu and welcome to the forum. This is a fairly recent forum and the membership, though growing, is small. But I hope there is someone reading this who has a similar experience as yours, who can make contact with you. I can understand how it would help to be able to talk to someone in the same boat. All the very best to you.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:20 PM

Smile Re: Anyone else on here with a toddler in a boston brace?

Hi Lulu,
My daughter has just been fitted for a Boston Brace. She is 2.8years old.
How is your little one coping?
My daughter is up to stage 1 of wearing the brace, just wearing it for a few hours at a time, building up next week for 10 hours a day. How does your daughter cope with wearing it to bed. I don't think ours is going to like that at all. Also our brace is quite low around her bottom and each time I need to change nappies I have to take the brace off.

Our daughter goes to childcare 2 days a week I am not sure how I will go getting them to fit it properly if they need to take it off during the day.
When our daughter has the brace on, she finds it hard to sit down as well. Seems to impede her getting around. She also has another medical condition so it is hard to think about all of these things I should be doing.
Any advice would be great...
also has anyone heard about the spine place in Sydney that uses a technique called spinal decompression etc.They use different techniques on the muscles around the curved spine for helping kids and adults with Scholeosis with no bracing required?
Thanks Maree
Old 08-02-2011, 12:32 PM

Hi Lulu and Maree,
My 2.5 year old is in a brace also.
She was in a plaster cast first from the age of one.
She is now on her second brace and soon to receive her third.
I found nappies hard too. I ended up buying a smaller nappy and just fitting it under the brace. I think it's important not to keep taking the brace on and off.
It is harder for them to have it put back on again. Especially would be hard for childcare workers etc. My daughter is so used to the brace now it is almost part of her body. She almost prefers it on!
We keep it on her 23 hours a day and only take it off for baths.
She also found it difficult to sit on the floor and play, so I took her back to have a bit cut off it.
Louise
Old 09-02-2011, 09:57 PM

Hi Lulu Marie & Louise,
Welcome!! I am of no help with the Todders but Im glad you have found each other, and that will help make this journey easier with people who are in simular situations along the way. Good luck with finding out more. What degrees are your children? Wishing you all the best!!

Cheers
Tracy
Old 11-02-2011, 08:56 AM

My 2 years olds curve started at 35 deg - a year later it is 65 deg.
With the brace on however they managed to get it back to 35 deg at first. It has now moved to 40 deg with the brace on. The doctors are hoping to hold it at that level.
Old 14-02-2011, 01:26 PM

HI Louiseb,
Thanks for the info. My little one will be 3 in April. Her curve is around 28deg.
and we still haven't had much luck in keeping it on. Have hardly had it on.
I have been doing alot of research into the Spinal Decompression therapy and chiro and I am going to see her Spine doctor end of February, with a list of questions for him. I am hoping we can come up with a plan that will help us all. Anyway chat soon. Cheers Maree
Old 24-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Hi Maree,
I'd be happy for you to contact me via email and I could give you contact details if you want to chat about ways to try and keep it on.
Louise