Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Brace management

Old 27-11-2014, 02:54 PM

Default not as bad as I thought

Hello. My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with IAS about 8 weeks ago - She has thoracolumbar scolisis with worse curve being 40 degress. We were devastated and I obsessively spent about 3 weeks reading and re-reading every article or forum post on the internet. Prior to brace appt I had myself in such a state about how she would cope, sleep, eat, go to school, what she would wear etc. I still worry about her constantly - what will the future hold? But while I don't want to in any way diminish the difficult experiences that many people have posted about (my heart breaks for kids that struggle with their braces) and I also don't want to sound overly optimistic I did feel it important to share a different experience. My daughter has been wearing a boston brace (or a TLSO similar to a boston) for approx 4 weeks. Except for once during the first week, she has managed it really well - physically and emotionally. She has slept well (we got a memory foam mattress). Her friends have been amazing and she is wearing it about 20 hours a day and has not had any skin issues. Don't get me wrong. We talk about how much it 'sucks' all the time but I just wanted to tell prospective brace wearers that it is possible that it will be not as terrible as you expect. I know its easy for me to say coz I am not wearing it, but I ran this post past her and she agreed. I have no doubt we have bumpy times ahead - and in my heart I think its prob likely we will have to go through surgery but I hope that I can offer a little encouragement that life with brace can be bearable!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:41 AM

Default Re: not as bad as I thought

Hi. Your daughter sounds very similar to my son. He got his brace at 11 and did struggle with it at times, but ended up accepting it, and in fact as his curve progressed he became more comfortable in it than out. His brace went on at 25 degrees and although he wore it 19-20 hours faithfully it progressed, particularly during his rapid growth at 14/15 years, and he has just had surgery at 16 years, 2 weeks ago. I am sure his curve would have progressed more and faster is he was not so consistent with the brace. His curve was also thoracolumbar and at the moment he is a bit sore but progressing slowly and is certainly straighter. He coped far better than I thought. He now has a brace again for 3-6 months but is coping well and I was so happy it was an off the shelf brace and did not need to be custom made to accommodate a curve, although he still has a slight curve. What a ride but they do cope. When he was young and not wanting to wear the brace we decided to pay him extra pocket money for wearing the brace and this made a difference but I'm sure would be a controversial move that some parents would criticise. I wish your daughter all the best.
Old 14-01-2015, 04:47 PM

Default Re: not as bad as I thought

My 14 year old daughter has been wearing her boston brace for 23 hours a day for just over 2 years. She doesn't complain about it unless it's hot and doesn't like to go to bed without it. Her curve started at 36 degrees and is now holding stable at 22. The drs will decide at her next checkup about whether or not we can start to wean her out of it (provided she stops growing). She gets restless sitting and is particular about chairs she'll sit in.