Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 30-11-2014, 08:42 PM

Default Post op weaning off mediation

My 16 yo son had an anterior fusion 12 days ago. He has not had Endone today but is still taking Slow Release Tramadol and regular Panadol. The hospital gave me no idea of how to wean the meds down and over what time period. We see the GP again in 2 days but he is not very helpful. The other main problem is my son does not seem to feel that he gets any sleep and gets quite distressed during the night at being awake. If anyone has advice I would be grateful to read it.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Post op weaning off mediation

Hi,
12 days is still very early days.
My daughter had her surgery 3 and a 1/2 weeks ago now. She had posterior fusion T4 to L3.
She came home on oxycontin 10mg bd, that is the slow release morphine. After one week we reduced it to just in the mornings and stopped the night dose, pain was no worse when we reduced. At that time, we continued with regular panadol and sometimes neurofen.
She is now just on the panadol and neurofen and last night I asked her how her pain was and she said "0 out of 10", so that was good.
She has generally not had much pain, although she has had intermittent rib pain which I assume is just the ribs adjusting a bit to the new position.
In terms of sleep, that is difficult for your son as I am sure it would help for him to have a better night sleep. I am not sure if the tramadol can affect sleep, if so, maybe it is worth moving across to a different pain medication or weaning off if his pain is not too bad. Hopefully your GP can help or ring the surgeon to get clearer instructions about weaning off meds.
Hope he is going well and all the best.
Cheers
Old 09-12-2014, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Post op weaning off mediation

Hi Fizzio,

Sorry to hear your son isn't sleeping well. That must be so draining! Is it because of pain that he cant sleep? We have never used Tramadol Only Endone/Panadol/Nurophen. The endone was good at night as it causes drowsiness. Hoping things have improved for your son. Theres no time frame on how long to use pain meds? Everyone is different. When our daughter stopped asking for them was a good indication for me. The very best for recovery to you
Cheers Tracy