Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 09-11-2013, 02:44 PM

Default 2 weeks post op.

The last two weeks have been a bit of a blur...but I am so happy to see the increase in confidence in my daughter...she is so happy to be straight and taller
This experience has also shown me what fantastic love and support she has from her school and friends. I am so proud to know that she is so fondly thought of.
The orthopeadic team and nurses that looked after her were fantastic and I take my hat off to them for the fantastic work they do.
And last but not least...Thank you to all of you who have helped with advice and support through this fantastic forum.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:39 AM

Default Re: 2 weeks post op.

Hi Kellylaree, so good to hear all went well and that things are moving forward positively. Kids who go through this operation display a strength of character that defies their years. You are definitely over the worse now and the speed of recovery will never cease to amaze you. We hit a milestone last week when my son did a full school week, catching the train both ways and climbed a ladder to carry out 'techy jobs' for school assembly! Apart from his scar, you wouldn't know he'd been through surgery less than 3 months ago.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:28 PM

WOW MAB!!!....that is amazing...so glad he is doing great. I took my daughter in to school for a quick visit the other day. She didn't really want to go but I wanted her to thank them for all the support. She loved seeing all her friends again and some of her teachers were excited to see her but she is digging her heels in about not going back this term As it is her first term of yr12 I am concerned it will effect her HSC results and I can not even get her to read anything from school. She has assessment's due this term and I really don't want her to flunk them. I am struggling to understand why she wont do it and think she is just being lazy...what are everyone's thought's, am I being too pushy??
Old 11-11-2013, 07:27 PM

My son was also against returning to school early and completing school work at home. Luckily he's only Year 8. We just about got him to keep up with his Maths but anything else was pushing it. He's still catching up on some assignments for the "minor" subjects. When I look back, I think it's all too easy to underestimate the effects of the drug regime and the overall toil that is placed on their body - physically and mentally. Try not to worry too much - it really is very early days for your daughter and you did well getting her to school for a visit so soon. I'm sure she'll catch up in her own time.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:29 PM

My son also had difficulty after surgery with his schoolwork. He could not focus at all and concentration span was nil. This actually lasted till after 8 weeks, even a bit longer. He basically lost first term. Only year 10, but I was also a bit worried at the time. He is now doing exams, has a few gaps in knowledge but basically caught up.
I think that there is a big effect from anaesthesia and also post traumatic stress component.
Every child is different and you shouldn't compare to anyone who may have just got straight back into school. This is a difficult age without surgery etc, and mental health is just as important as year 12. She may have to work a bit harder later but I think you should let her tell you when she is able to get back into it. Better to get completely well without stress, be there as a support, if she isn't up to school work then I don't think you can force it and you are probably just getting yourself stressed ...
Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:04 PM

Good advice Eliz, I was stressing more than I needed. When she was ready she just got into it and was able to complete all her assessments on time. She is now enjoying the holidays and getting stronger and more flexible every day and is even back to her driving lessons.