Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adults > Surgery

Old 03-07-2013, 07:04 PM

Default 3 month app and some questions I have..

I had my 3 month app today and after having my X-rays I saw my doctor. My back is doing well and I no longer have to wear my brace (even though I've already had it off for a week due to gall bladder surgery last week) which I'm excited about; no more having to wear men's long shirts and pants that are too big.
He said I should start doing core strength training and use the hydrotherapy pool but no real weights as yet. I have about 3 more months till I can get back to Zumba!!
I did ask my doc some questions but he was EXTREMELY vague and no help so hopefully one of you may be able to help so here goes.
1. How long does it take for the numbness/sensitivity in my upper back to disappear if at all?
2. My tailbone hurts whenever I sit down whether it be in the car or on the recliner, is this common and will it pass?
3. After 3 months, I still hear/feel clicking in my back and when I move I can feel all the muscles pulling. Will this ever disappear.
Ok, I've hassled everyone enough now so hope you're all well.
X x renee.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:23 PM

Default Re: 3 month app and some questions I have..

Hi Renee. Three months already! You sound good. Interesting you had gall bladder surgery after your spinal surgery, so did I and so did lots of patients on the American Scoli board - makes me wonder if there's some sort of association, though I can't think what it could be.

To answer questions:

1. My surgeon told me that if the numbness is going to go, it will be gone by 12 months. Any numbness left after 12 months probably won't go. I still have areas on my buttocks and lower back which are numb, but it doesn't bother me.

2. My tail bone hurt for about 2.5 maybe 3 months, and this is quite common, from my reading. It will ease as time goes by. Meantime, try and sit in a way that takes the pressure off the tailbone i.e. sitting bolt upright (which is easy when your spine is fused!) is less likely to put pressure on your tailbone.

3. I can't help with this one because I never had the clicking in the back, but I've read about it in the past. I hope you get an answer from someone who's experienced it.

Do you have your next appt at 6 months? I had a big improvement between 3 and 6 months. Take care, Jen
Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 PM

Default Re: 3 month app and some questions I have..

Hi Jen, I'm doing well and looking forward to getting back in shape and hopefully being how I used to be before surgery. As for my gall bladder, the doctor said mine had gall stones and was so large I may had had for years and not known about it but saw what u did on the American site. Am sure the fusion probably helped it kick off and have decided the next surgery will be voluntary dammit!! (Bring on a boob job) lol.
Thanks for answering my questions and its so nice to hear I'm not alone and for the most part all issues will correct them self.y next app is 6 months which means Oct and I'm sure it will come quickly.
Thanks again and look forward to chatting to u again.
X x renee