Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 24-11-2012, 10:05 PM

Default No private health care

Hi, we have found out the only way to correct my daughters curve is by surgery. I have tried to find out what is covered by medicare but nothing seems to be clear. We only have ambulance cover, I have considered private health care but never thought with a young healthy family it would be needed, silly me.
I am just wondering about the public health care, waiting times, cost & any other info. I will get a loan if I have to, just need a heads up so I can plan for whatever else needs to happen.
Thanks Joey
Old 26-11-2012, 01:37 AM

Default Re: No private health care

Hi Joey,
my daughter had surgery i Melbourne on 28th June. We live in country WA. In WA it doesn't make any difference if you have private health cover as they only do the surgery in a public hospital. The wait in Perth was at least 16 months in the public system. My daughter's respiration was already being compromised by the 63 degree thoracic curve. We went to Victoria and had the best care ever. Fees do vary between states and surgeons if you go private. We were told that if we went public in WA medicare would cover it all (and believe me( it__all) is a huge amount as we have seen from HBF statements).
Your surgeon should be able to give you a quote if you do decide to go private and get a loan. Incidentally, my daughter has made a wonderful recovery and has no post surgical pain at all.
Good luck,
Jane
Old 26-11-2012, 06:35 PM

Thanks Jane
My daughters curve is to large to brace & hasn't complained of backpain but she does get really exhuasted & nasty headaches, the reason why I took her to the doctors in the first place. Her larger curve is right thoracic it's at 51 degree, she has a smaller curve above of 27 degree & a 34 degree lumber scoliosis. We have another visit in the new yr & she is going to have an MRI before our visit.
At the moment it's waiting, but as I have learnt that's scoliosis
You have given me some insight as to which path needs to be dealt with next.
Thanks again Jane, take care
Old 08-12-2012, 11:58 AM

Hi Joey my heart goes out to you as it brings up so many initial worries of my own. We live in country NSW and after seeing a surgeon in Sydney , privately we wanted to get a second opinion so was referred to a dr in Brisbane that only operates in the public system. She was put on the waiting list and we were told there was around a 3 mth wait. That was oct . In the mean time I was told the name of another great surgeon in brisi who operates private and public. When we rang him we can't get an appointment till jan 10 with him but he has seen her X-rays and classed her catagory 1. In the mean time we have received an op date in the public system on jan29. So for us we have probably got through the public system quicker. We still aren't 100 percent sure which way we are going! It wouldn't hurt you to follow both paths to see what becomes available 1st or just go with the surgeon your the most comfortable with. It is very stressful . My thoughts are with you all. Cheryl