Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 22-03-2012, 02:59 PM

Default OMG - Confused

Hi Everyone,

This is the first time i am using the forum but need some help and encourangement. My 15 year old daughter was told she needs the surgery as the top curve is 49 and the bottom one is 53. I am not sure of the correct terminolgy at this stage as i am still in shock. Although i know deep down that the surgery is needed there is still a huge part of me that is not sure. I live in Melbourne and would like to hear from anyone who's child has had the surgery and which surgeon did the operation. I am happy with the surgeon i have but not sure whether to get a second opinion or not. Sometimes information overload gets you more confused. She is booked in to have the surgery on the 21st June but i am not sure if i'm doing the right thing. Could you please give me some advice on how to cope with the lead up to the surgery and any information you have on Melbourne surgeons. Thanks.
Old 22-03-2012, 04:40 PM

Default Re: OMG - Confused

Hi Pina

I am an almost fifty-year old who had surgery in Melbourne last June so don't have the expertise in children and scoliosis. Other than being a child myself a long time ago!

There are many parents like you, who are on the forum, and they were very anxious about their children undergoing surgery for scoliosis. Things are a bit quiet here but someone will respond soon to your post and hopefully help you get through.

Christine x
Old 22-03-2012, 05:58 PM

Dear Pina

This sounds exactly like my first post. My son now 15 had similar curves and he had his surgery in October 2011. It is a big decision and each person should be considered individually - it is a bit like having a baby everyone says it'll be fine - but always scarey when you have to front up to the birth.

My sons surgery was successful he had a fantastic surgeon in Brisbane and the Private Hospital was great. He still has a lean and about 18 degree curve but no pain and good movement and return to normal activities.

The journey through surgery was tough - but fairly much as advised and we were able to get through it with no unexpected pitfalls.

It seems much better to do it when they are young.

The only trouble I am now having it we are about to go overseas for a holiday and travel insurance won't cover anything to do with a pre-existing condition of scoliosis - so I am a bit anxious about a holiday to the US without knowing I have insurance in case anything causes him trouble from the 14 hour flight or trip to Disneyland (this was something we planned to give him things to look forward to when he was facing surgery).

I might add a new post to see if I can get help on that one.

Anyway - good luck with your studies. I am really pleased with how my son has got through surgery and returned to normal so quickly afterwards.

Feel free to private message me if I can ever be of more help.

Kind regards
Chris (and Dane)
Old 22-03-2012, 07:59 PM

Thanks Christine looking forward to more replies.
Old 22-03-2012, 08:04 PM

Thanks Chris and Dane. I never thought about the insurance thing either. My daughter has been selected to go to USA in December 2013 to play basketball so this is something i should start looking into.

I am preparing myself as best i can for a tough journey but thank God the daughter is tougher than the mother hahhahah.

I have also been reading some posts about some book that everyone read before surgery, do you know what this book is called?
Old 23-03-2012, 07:52 AM

Hi Pina

My copy of the book Scoliosis Surgery: The Definitive Patient's Reference by David Wolpert is floating around somewhere. I can't remember who has it now but they may send it on to you to read if they see your forum post.

It is a good book, very simple and informative for young people, and those who know little about scoliosis. Not complicated at all.

But if it doesn't turn up have a look at Abe Books, Amazon or other online sellers. Otherwise very exy in book shops.

cx
Old 24-03-2012, 06:54 PM

Hi Pina,
I don't know if this helps but I had surgery just over a year ago when I was 15, and now I am back playing rep netball - not quite as rough as basketball, but still the same sort of activity -with no trouble I'm glad I had the surgery when I did, because this way I have now been able to go through grade 12 without any surgery. Take care Georgia
Old 26-03-2012, 12:38 PM

Thanks Georgia that helps heaps. Did you have your surgery done in Melbourne and if so can you inbox me where and who did the surgery. Thanks
Old 27-03-2012, 11:08 PM

Hi Pina,

I have the book i.e. the floating copy, and would be delighted to send it to you. Please send me a private message with your address and I will get it in the post:>)

My 15yo daughter had her op on Feb 16. She had 2, 60 degree curves and she had rods implanted from T4 to L5, than means from the 4th thoracic vertebra to the 5th lumbar vertebra.

We are in Brisbane so our doctor/hospital info is not relevant to you but we went into this very frightened but it has gone really well and no complications!! At 6 weeks post-op, my daughter is now pain free for the first time since more than 3 years ago. I thought the standard of the nursing care in the hospital was fantastic. Pain management was a bit difficult for about the first week home but plain sailing after that.

Warm regards,
Margaret

Read all the posts in the various thread on this forum - there is some terrific information there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pina View Post
Thanks Chris and Dane. I never thought about the insurance thing either. My daughter has been selected to go to USA in December 2013 to play basketball so this is something i should start looking into.

I am preparing myself as best i can for a tough journey but thank God the daughter is tougher than the mother hahhahah.

I have also been reading some posts about some book that everyone read before surgery, do you know what this book is called?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:40 PM

Hi Pina
my 12 year old niece has to have the surgery to, she lives in Hobart so has to have the surgery in Melbourne, she meet with the surgeon today, our family is so worried about this op as im sure most people are, my niece however is not the least bit worries about it all!! im not sure of all the terminology either but i know her thoracic spine has 63% curve
i will inbox you as well
all the best Amanda