Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 22-09-2011, 11:22 AM

Default Surgery locked in

Dear all,

My 14 year old daughter is going for her surgery on the 6th of October. Has been a worrying period for us all. She is the first in our family and our extended family to have this surgery so it has been overwhelming for us. I hoped that magic will make her scoliosis disapper but obviously it was an unlikely wish. Anyway the forum has been very helpful. It was relieving to know that we are not alone in this journey. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.
Old 24-09-2011, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Surgery locked in

Hi Magic and welcome. You are now in that scary waiting time where you just need to jump a few weeks ahead for it all to be done. Keep positive you are making a good decision for your daughters future and ask any questions you need.
Take care
Annette
Old 27-09-2011, 04:23 PM

Unhappy Re: Surgery locked in

Thanks Annette. Hope Dominic is doing well. Must be a relief to be where you are now. How did you find the recovery period with him. My daughter's surgery has been posponed till late October or early November by the surgeon. So we have to wait a little longer. The forum is great. Sharing with others experiences helps ease nerves.
Old 27-09-2011, 06:56 PM

Oh, that is tough, why the delay? Hard when all your focus is getting to that date and then you have to hold on. Dom's recovery was great, initially bad in hospital ten days instead of seven (still think that was partly due to bad care- you really need to stand up for them at times). Then he just hasn't looked back, he had morphine for the 2.5hour trip home and then after that only about four panadol which I forced on him. He needed help for the first week or so getting on and off the toilet, dried and dressed after a shower, in and out of bed and then was slowly able to do all that himself. Some much needed dignity returning for a 15 year old boy!!! His attitude was always great though he just knew at the time it needed to be done.
Probably the main pain he has experienced since has been at the bone graft site. Not enough to need painkillers but stops him wearing his favourite denim shorts as it irritates the scar. Something I wouldn't have thought about. I think he gets a bit tired at times as it is just a bit more effort to do things but he never complains. Our main problem was holding him back from activity until he had the all clear from the surgeon.
I think we have been very lucky, remember too that kids bounce back much more than we do. When you get there you will be amazed just how quickly she will go from unwell to well. Just remember that in the early days!
Take care
Annette
Old 29-09-2011, 03:50 PM

Hi Annette,

The delay is because the surgeon is unavailable. 3 sugeries had to be rescheduled. My girl is happy that she can spend her holidays pain free and happy to go back to school after the holidays. I guess her recovery after the surgery will take her very close to the summer holidays. Liked Dom's attitide towards medication. Hope my girl will be the same. You had a long drive home. Was Dom confortable in the car? Our drive is long too although not as long as yours. Did you have to change anything when he was at home or was he able to sleep on his own bed. What about sitting, can they sit on the sofas or needed higher chairs. Tips are welcome. It is nice to talk to someone who has been through the experience.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:10 AM

Hi magic
Welcome to the forum. What a shame to have the surgery postponed, we psych ourselves up so much, it must be horrible to have to do that twice. Everyone says the waiting is the worst and they're right. We didn't change anything at home, just put one of those cheap plastic chairs in the shower, plus he slept on our lounge for a couple of weeks as he found it more comfortable than his bed, he spent most of his time on the lounge in that first week as it was the softest and had a high back for support. Jake is now nearly 6 weeks post op and doing really well. Take care and keep us posted.
Sue
Old 04-11-2011, 08:22 AM

Default Recovery stage

My 14 year old is now at the early recovery stage after her surgery which was on the 2nd of November in Sydney. She is fused from T5 to L1 with Thoracoplasty. Our children need bravery medals for their courage. We are glad that we are at recovery stage as making this decision and then waiting for the surgery day is very overwelming and does take a lot from all members of the family. Will keep you all posted.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:19 PM

Hi Magic, So great to hear your on the other side of surgery. Thats fantastic news! They are stronger than we think. (Just a tip) Nurses get crazy-busy, so keep track of when meds are due. All the best for a speedy recovery for your baby.

Take care
Tracy
Old 05-11-2011, 11:21 PM

Hi Magic,

Best wishes of a smooth and speedy recovery. Make sure you take some time out for yourself.

This surgery is right up there with Heart surgery and yes, it takes a lot out of everyone.

Best wishes.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:13 PM

Hi Magic,
Glad to hear your daughters surgery went well, each day should get easier from here although you will still have your 'ups and downs'.

Rach was a bit nervous coming home and adjusting to a new environment and we had to get a bit creative in how we handled certain things. She was much more comfortable sleeping on her side and became quite dependant on the bed railings in her hospital bed for security and also to help her move if she had to. Obviously her bed at home doesn't have these so we barricade her in each night with 3 dining chairs (backs against her bed) She feels safer and also uses them to pull herself up if she has to. She is still using them 3 weeks later.

Also, my husband got her a shower chair/toilet raiser (can be used for both) which has been well worth it. The first 2 weeks it was great for the toilet although she could have got by with out it. Using it in the shower though has been fantastic. She likes that she can sit down, its less tiring and safer and it is much easier for me to wash her, especially her hair. (I am still helping her shower) A plastic chair would work the same. We managed to get our toilet/shower chair for $45 from a local home care supplier. It was returned stock but unused. Worth every cent!

Lastly, we had some walkie talkies at home which we used. They have a chime button which was really handy. Initially I slept in her sisters bed in the same room (her sister was staying with grandparents). If Rach needed me she could wake me by pressing the chime button.
The nights where I didn't sleep in the room with her she could contact me if she needed me as I had one next to my bed. A baby monitor would work too. Again, you could make do without but it gave us extra piece of mind but as I said, we already had these at home I didn't purchase them especially.

Hope all continues to go well
Sonia