Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 03-05-2011, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Waiting for a surgery date

Thanks Lyn for sharing your experience. I am sorry to hear that your daughter had to wait so long and that things had progressed so much while you had to wait. I can imagine your frustration and anger. After reading your story I will definitely be contacting the hospital if I notice any significant increase in Rachaels' curvature. Fortunately it has not progressed significantly in the last couple of months. Hopefully that will continue. As to asking questions, it seems to always be after your appointment that you think of more things to ask no matter how prepared you are before the appointment. We never thought we would be waiting more than a few months (based on what the surgeon told us) so you don't think to ask about waiting lists. What state are you in? we are in Adelaide, we have only 2 scoliosis surgeons here so there is a wait especially since they work as a team and only do 2 a month. They probably have their own private list as well.
Sonia
Old 04-05-2011, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Waiting for a surgery date

Hi Sonia,
The waiting is just the worst. Our experience with Dominic in Sydney seemed to be similar...Went in to appointments, signed consent forms believing that we would be given a surgery date as it was necessary only to be told he was now on the waiting list and it would be up to 18 months. So hard when you watch them getting worse and just how it does your head in waiting. After four months we went over to the private system (we do have health insurance fortunately) and ironically had the same two surgeons as we would have had through the public system!? Just with $$$ in gaps. I remember the secretary telling me at the time of planning "Not to plan our lives around this". Bit hard when at the time it is all consuming, as well as on the practical side you have to do a bit of planning with work and home. Sounds like you are doing a good job of making sure Rachael is going okay, look after yourself as well and here's hoping you get in sooner just for peace of mind.
Annette