Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 17-01-2011, 08:14 PM

Default Tips to help get through surgery

Hi Everyone,
Thought this might be helpful to anyone approaching surgery? Some of my tips have come from others on the forum (thankyou). Please add what has helped you and it might become a good resource for others heading in.

Keep going with your normal activities as long as possible.
Ask questions if you have them - a doctor said to me once the only silly question is the one you don't ask.
Let the school know what is happening (our school had noticed a change in Dominic's behaviour - he had become quieter) and they were very supportive.
Some hospitals have a social worker you can contact beforehand to help prepare you.
Take in a favourite stuffed toy - for comfort but also to remind staff that they are still children and need extra emotional care and consideration.
Photos of home or family and friends personalise the room a bit and again help to remind staff that they are individuals.
If your child sleeps with a particular pillow like a boomerang take it in with a good supply of fresh pillowcases. Once they are feeling a bit better they will appreciate the comfort and familiarity.
Books, magazines, healthy snacks and treats for yourself - sometimes you can be pretty trapped in that room!
It is hard to leave them but take any chance you can to eat, sleep, shower etc. You need to be well to look after them.
Talk to the doctor or nursing staff after surgery and find out what their care plan is eg. how often they should be rolled, times for medication. It is very easy for time to get away, hospitals are busy places and you sometimes have to ask for things to be done! Take notes if needed, your brain won't be at full strength!
Annette
Old 17-01-2011, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Tips to help get through surgery

Hi Annette

this is a good post, just in time too, we are now packed and ready and I'm including a notepad to take notes.

cheers
Sue
Old 19-01-2011, 08:09 AM

Best of luck Sue and any others heading in for surgery!

A great post. I just thought of one that might suit particularly the young ones: MP3 player. I had one but didn't feel much like music, however, lots of patients I've read about really enjoyed listening to their music, it lifted their spirits and took their mind off any pain they were having.

Oh and a foam topper for the bed when they get home. Oh heaven, after the horrible hospital beds that are built for torture. (My partner brought one into the hospital for me! Nobody objected.)
Old 26-11-2011, 09:33 PM

After surgery...Don't forget that you can claim excess medical expenses ie. gaps on your tax. Talk to your accountant, I had to print a Medicare and health fund statement for the year plus had receipts for gaps doctors had billed separate to those billed through Medicare and health fund.
You don't get it all back but it can help
Annette
Old 30-11-2011, 12:53 PM

Something that we found really important but not something you hear much about was PJ tops that button up!

It's really painful to lift your arms up after surgery so tops that button up instead of T-shirt style -over your head , are really important.
Also, pack shorts not long PJ bottoms - hospitals are sooooo hot!

Rach wore a gown for the first few days but did like having her own clothes once she was up and walking around.

Sonia
Old 08-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Thank you so much for these tips. I don't think we have any button-through pj tops but of course they would be much easier!

My daughter's op is in Brisbane, in February next. I want to read the book that so many of us in the forum have found helpful. Did you get it from Amazon or is it available in Australia?
Old 15-12-2011, 01:41 PM

I think I bought mine from Fishpond (australian site)

Sonia
Old 17-12-2011, 02:59 PM

Hi
It might also be useful to purchase in advance the tape that they use to cover the scar to reduce scarring. I was only able to buy it online and it didn't last 7 days (as planned) and I couldn't get more when I was staying in temporary accommodation.

It is MEPIFORM SCAR MANAGEMENT DRESSING it is a waterproof tape that nicely covers the scar and helps reduce scarring (I wish I had more during my first couple of weeks).

I got it online (free delivery) www.independenceaustralia.com ph 1300 788 855 it cost me $35.20 for 1 4cm wide strip - you should buy a few.
Good luck
Chris
Old 22-12-2011, 09:38 PM

In addition to the point about button down tops (which are a lifesaver), I also found that really big, baggy stretchy tops were good too
Old 18-01-2012, 02:44 PM

Hi everyone
My daughter Emily has surgery booked for Monday 23jan. Really get nervous when I read about the pain. Anymore tips would be great we are packing bag tonight. Also when are they able to drive long distance in a car, we were planning a weekend away 3 - 4weeks after op the drive is 1.5 - 2hours.
thanks kim
\