Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Brace management

Old 27-07-2010, 03:17 PM

Smile Mould

I just went and got my mould done and they said 3 to 4 weeks . I had to lie on this really funny thing and have a neck brace on and i got to choose a pattern for it.

Any suggestions what to expect?

Emily
Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Mould

hi Emily,

your bace sounds cooler than mine already.... I had a plain old boston brace, no fun patterns for me! I had my brace fitted at hospital and was admitted as a patient so that I could go back and forth to the orthopedics department. Over a couple of days I tried it on, made sure that it fit, did things like walk up stairs and brush my hair all to see that it didn't hurt anywhere with different types of movement.

We had a meeting with all the gang, my professor and my parents and we spoke about how to plan to be able to wear it full time. It was January, so really hot, but at least it was school holidays so i could go to the beach in the morning and start wearing it after lunch. It did take some time to get used to it, but once I was there, I played hockey and tennis in the brace and did my best for it not to get in my way. I also did a lot of swiming to help strenghten my back.

Have a think about what to wear under your brace, it will really help with the rubbing....I wore bonds boys singlets..... but there are much nicer ones about now - lots of fun colured girls bonds singlets!!

Let us know how you get along Emily, will be thinking of you, and we are always here if you want to pop us a note.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Smile Re: Mould

Thanks alot my mum is going shopping tomz