Scoliosis Australia Forums  

Go Back   Scoliosis Australia Forums > Adolescents < 18 years of age > Surgery

Old 20-11-2010, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Countdown to surgery

Friday was panic day, wanted to ring and cancel. Dominic had a lovely day at school, friends organized a party and they wore party hats all day. Rain held off and we went go karting followed by fish and chips and tennis for 20. Said it was his best day ever. We could have done without him jumping the net at tennis! An injury would have been great at this stage.
Book in 2pm tomorrow and surgery 8am Monday, early is good less time to worry. Thanks everyone for your good wishes. Will keep you posted.
Annette
Old 22-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Well what a wild ride this is! Down to Sydney, booked in, looking good. Then Dominic got a high temperature. The upshot being surgery cancelled and we got home to Newcastle at 10.30pm last night. GP today and he is on antibiotics for an upper respiratory tract infection. Poor kid all that build up and to be beaten by a cold! Don't think any of us knew what to think.
Then a miracle - booked in again for next Monday, different hospital but same great team of surgeons etc. We are so grateful as it could have been next year. Dominic is a bit "fragile" so will keep him home from school even when he is well. His mates put on such a beautiful day for him on Friday I don't think he feels he can see them again until after surgery.,
Lets hope he gets well quickly and all can go ahead.
Annette
Old 24-11-2010, 06:30 PM

Oh horrors, what a terrible story. Poor Dom and poor Mum! But it's great that he's booked to go again on Monday. Let's hope he's getting better every day. This isn't the first time I've heard of surgery being cancelled due to an infection at the last minute.

The very best of luck to you on Monday! Let us know how Dom goes. I am sure he will do great and get an amazing correction.
Old 25-11-2010, 09:05 AM

hi there,
all the best for doms surgery on monday. its great that his got fantastic family and friends . kathy
Old 26-11-2010, 08:55 AM

To Dom's mum, wow what a journey. Good luck for Monday. My 13 year daughter is having surgery end of December and we are also very very very anxious. She seems to be handling this quite well and is very focused on the end result and not on the surgery. She has requested photos, her music, special dinners /food during her hospital stay. (and a shopping spree when she is better as she cant wear clothes that she likes because of her 60+ thoracic curve). Wishing Dom and your family buckets of luck and a great correction!! Tina
Old 26-11-2010, 07:43 PM

Good luck to your daughter tgg. She's very wise to keep her eye on that light at the end of the tunnel, it will help to get her through this. And she's going to be so happy getting a new wardrobe in the not too distant future, especially because she'll be blown away at how good she'll look in her new gear!
Old 26-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Smile Re: Countdown to surgery

Hi everyone and thanks again for good wishes. All booked again but don't have to be at hospital until 12pm Monday (haven't been given a surgery time but as he has to have blood tests etc it will be a while after) so it is going to be a late surgery. No, I am not complaining, we are so grateful to have been rescheduled but it is going to seem like the longest day.
The tips I have gotten here have been really helpful - like taking a stuffed toy to remind that he is still a kid not adult, photos etc. I set his room up last week and you could see that it helped with the staff. New hospital now but hopefully it will all help.
Will keep you posted
Annette
Old 26-11-2010, 09:29 PM

All the very best to you Annette, Dom and your family. Hope everything goes well on Monday. Look forward to receiving an update when you can.
Old 26-11-2010, 09:31 PM

Tina, welcome to the forum. There are many great members on here. I hope that you find the answers to any questions you may have. Seeya on the forums.
Old 27-11-2010, 12:54 PM

Thinking of you Annette and family,

Hope all is going well......

Louise